High Fat Level in Blood - Can anything be done to lower it? Quickly??!

missypebble

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Does anyone know what's the best diet in general to help a hen who's been diagnosed with very high fat level in blood - high level of triglyceride? I'm hoping for something to "cleanse" or to work quickly as she's having this issue which the vet says can lead to reproductive tract disease. I have no clue....Will someone please help?

Thank you.

Hi missypebble,

it might be worth googling 'fatty liver in chickens' or something like that. High triglycerides go hand in hand with fatty liver disease. Actually these issues are fairly common, especially in high volume layers (which eat a lot because of their egg output).

These conditions are associated with diets high in energy, particularly with certain types of energy (processed grains) or diets with an imbalance in terms of fatty acids and fats. It may also be associated with (or made worse by) artificial methionine, which is in practically all commercial feed.

There's no much you can do unless you take her off a highly processed diet. But then formulating your own high fibre reduced energy (usually high protein) diet with the correct fats is quite hard. You could try getting her out on grass more often (if she isn't already). You could try giving her a diet high in sprouted grains (i.e. sprouts have reduced energy but better vitamins).

I've seen fatty liver in birds (especially ones eating commercial meat bird finisher) and it's a nasty thing. My birds are all on a sprouted diet with extras like soured milk and chopped liver. It's not easy to do and at some level we all need to think about practicalities.

best wishes with your beloved pet,
Erica

Back
Top Bottom