Hinged windows on coop

SadieSue

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Tacoma, WA
We're currently building our coop, (if the weather ever cooperates!) and we're planning to build our own windows, screened with hardware cloth, covered with plexiglass and hinged so they can be opened during the 3 days of summer we get here in the Northwest. Would any of you be willing to explain how yours are built, how are they held open during hot days, and possibly even show me photos so that I can show DH and his buddy? Much appreciated!

Edited to add: These windows will be installed in a 4X8 raised coop with an attached run. We will also be providing extra ventilation.

Last edited:
Sadie sue, my plexiglass addition to our coop was an afterthought- we originally just had hardware cloth over the window opening, but I decided it was too dark in the winter with the window closed up. I ended up using velcro around all four sides of the window, and the plexiglass just gets "pasted on", and removed when it gets too hot for more ventilation. If you go to my page you can see our 4x4 coop. One word of advice though- design your window opening according to the size of the plexiglass available (make your window a little smaller than the plexiglass if you want to do the velcro method) - I tried cutting the plexiglass for our window and it cracked. It is lightweight enough that the velcro has held for the the three months that it has been in place...good luck.

Last edited:
Home depot and lows both will cut plexi for you.

You can prop the window open. 1x1 that is attached to window frame, pull window out allow 1x1 to rest against framed area on coop where window rests closed.

i would use hinges and a chain and hook method to hold it open. the hook would go into the chain so you could adjust how much to open it for ventilation on rainy days.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used recycled sash windows and hinged them on the top so they open awning style. This helps keep rain from blowing into the coop. To prop them open, I fastened sticks on each side that are hinged to the bottom of the window. When not in use, the sticks flip up and out of the way, but they're right there when I need them to prop the window open.

32217_side_door.jpg

This picture shows how the prop sticks are attached to the window frame:

32217_hinge.jpg

This picture shows how the prop sticks fit into the sill to hold the window open. I cut a little divot in the sill for the stick to fit into:

32217_stick.jpg

Quote:
nice work!

also, the "3 days of summer we get here in the Northwest" comment in the OP gave me the giggles! I'm from Vancouver (BC) so I know what you mean - although it seems it's getting hotter and drier every year...

These windows are not hinged but sliders. Work great and no leaks. We had a sideways rain/thunder storm the other day and no issues. Just cut the window hole and put up the hardware cloth. Hubby used router to make a notch into side of the 1x2 frame material. Plexiglass is attached to end piece 1x2 by drilling 3 small holes into it and then screwing to 1x2. I can completely remove the plexi or open it to whatever amount I want. Works great. Here is a pic of ours.
78309_100_0762.jpg
smile.png
Hope you are able to find out info that works for your coop.

Our coop has hinged windows. The smaller ones are hinged at the bottom and just hang down when open. There's a window lock at the top, to keep them closed. The large windows are hinged on the side and open like a pair of shutters. We put in a hook and eye to hold them open.

We have a good sized amount of roof over-hang, to keep rain from blowing in or raining on the windows. Since we have windows on all but the north side, we can always close what we need to, if it's a really bad storm. They still have plenty of ventilation on the other sides.

We bought the windows and framed openings in the wall with 2x4s to fit them. Then we used wood screws to attach the hinges and window locks. The openings are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth, attached with screws and washers.

The windows I made for my coop look good but this spring I'll need to work on them a bit.

-Tips-

1. Make sure the window is a smaller (1/4" or so) than your opening or when the moisture seeps into the wood you wont be able to open or close them.

2. Make sure that the window sill is slanted outward (that's going to be a pain to fix on mine since I built it into the frame of the coop!).

Back
Top Bottom