History of the Apron

setter4

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
I just got this from a friend. Knowing how many of us here actually WEAR an apron I thought this was a good place to post this...

The History Of Aprons

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.

After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love, the story about Grandma's aprons. Or it can be a good history lesson for those that have no idea how the apron played a part in our lives.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron.
But Love !!

Lovely and how true...and yes I wear an apron but only when cooking......and I wouldn't be without it.......

Thanks for sharing that it did bring back memories of my grandmother........she liked her aprons fancy!

I love it too. I love my aprons. An apron full of dough crumbs, stains and rubbed on flour means a good time was had by all.

That was very nice, setter4. Thank you.

I have very fond memories of my Grandma and Mom's aprons. I agree with Buff that a well-used apron is a pretty darn cool thing. To me, it symbolizes love.

Last edited:
I love my aprons too. I wear one even over my old clothes while cooking, which is most of the time. Some things just speak of love and warmth for the family.

I have carried many chicks and ducklings in my apron, so they would be warm and not so lonely! My first duck lived in my apron for the first 3 days it was here, after waddling up my driveway, and almost eaten by my cat. It was chased off my neighbors pond by something that got it's momma and sibling! My neighbor was afraid of the ducks so she said I could keep it, so I did, and tough her that ducks are not so bad, so she now has 6! I wish I had a pond like hers, but I guess you can't have everything!!!
I love my aprons, I can't cook without one!
Come to think of it I have carried eggs in from the coop in my apron!!!
My Grammy wore a smock, with 2 pockets one on each hip, always had tissues in one and candy in the other!
We always knew which side to sit by!!!
Thanks
Brenda

Back
Top Bottom