Hmmm...IS this a Roo??? UPDATE...we know for sure now!!!!

akcskye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
I know I've posted this before about this certain "hen"...or I think I have anyway.

In the last few weeks, this one is developing MUCH larger of a comb and wattles than even it's sister...who at first looked identical to it.

I hadn't really paid attention to it until I opened up the coop last week before the ice storm and said "HI Billy!" like I used to say to Billy, the roo we had that got killed.

This chicken is Billy's child...but can anyone tell me if this might just be a RIR's comb and wattles mixed with Buff Orpington...or did Billy actually have a son? haha

Thanks for any input...it was born in June and seems to be getting "bumps" where spurs would be, too.

I'm sorry this sounds so ignorant...but I tested all the chicks at hatch and they all "tested" as female...but now I'm not so sure with this one.

ericorred.jpg

ETA: The pic in the photo is wrong...the camera wasn't set correctly when I took the pic. This was taken last week, so December 2007. It was hatched in June 2007.

Last edited:
Should be laying eggs or crowing by now...If she's not crowing, me thinks she's a girl. Developing a comb and such would mean that she's going to start laying soon!
D.gif

She looks just like my girls. Two of them had well developed combs and wattles before I noticed they were laying eggs, the others didn't really start to develop until after they started laying eggs.

UPDATED pictures:

Here are more pics...sorry it took so long...ice storm caused a ruckous here.

I wouldn't question it being a girl if it wasn't that I can't seem to feel an egg sac and the fact it looks like it's growing spurs, in addition to looking just like it's dad did at this age. LOL

I can't imagine how much bigger this dude could get!!!

Anyway...I hope these pics help, and thank you for helping me!!!

Below is me holding the "suspect".
krisnred.jpg

Below is the "suspect" with it's back to the camera, but for a full body shot.
redback.jpg

Below is the "suspect's" feet, which appear to be growing spurs...none of the other ladies look like this???
redsfeet.jpg

OH, no bubble is bursted!!!
smile.png

Billy has a son!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you here that didn't know, our rooster, Billy, was killed just days after my chicks hatched...he died protecting our flock from dogs that broke into our yard...

SO, to have a son of his tickles us to DEATH!!!
smile.png

We have another roo, too, Christopher...but they get along...so hopefully it won't be too bad on us.

Thanks again!

Kristi

Well, Christmas Morning, the chick in question let out a string of about 4 "roo rooooooooooooooos"...yep, it's for sure...we have a ROO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're doing the happy dance over here, and thanks to everyone who cared to answer!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom