Holding chickens alot/walking around your house

Last time I had chickens 20 years ago, the eggs made excellent raw egg eggnog during the holidays. I probably put enough rum in the mix that it killed any salmonella bacteria if any were present. LOL

Yep, just wash up and don't touch your face. But it's impossible for kids not to touch their faces. Like @CloverTheRabbit says,
Remember, “If it doesn’t kill you it’ll only make you stronger.”

Lysol or clorox wipes are your best friend, when you have a house chicken! Hand washing and lots of old towels, broom, dust bin, and a swiffer duster are a must as well. We also have air purifiers to help with the chicken dust. I have a diaper for mine, but she's not a fan. She doesn't walk around my house, and stays on her covered cat tree or in her crate, so the poo is confined to easily cleaned locations. She is worth it.

I have a special needs hen who come in our house to hang out sometimes. She gets her feet and bum washed in a utility sink (that has a spray bottle of bleach water on the counter). She gets a blowdry-she loves the warm air, loves it! Then she gets a chicken diaper and shes off to roam around-though she always just makes a beeline for my chair in the livingroom in front of the tv. I drape a towel over it and she jumps up and preens a little them settles down and watches tv for a while. The diaper catches any poo. Shes great company :)

Back
Top Bottom