Hole in beak? What is this? (picture included)

Does this look like it is infected? or just a hole? It's not always good to give antibiotics unless deemed necessary. Maybe try some antibiotic salve first and keep an eye on her for a few days. Just make sure it hasn't got the pain reliever that ends in caine. I've never seen anything like it on a chicken.

Last edited:
Well, we put some Neosporin on the last couple of nights (no analgesic ingredients). I guess all we can do now is wait. If anyone else thinks of anything, please let me know.

This may be a little off but could it be a tick? I read you said something black was on it. I only ask that because my DH came home from hunting with about 20 ticks on him.

Did this get resolved? My new rooster has a hole in the very top of his beak and he is about 9 weeks old. Trying to find out what I should do. :(

I have a hen with the same hole. My research has lead me to think it is the result of a severe sinus infection. After coming to this conclusion I cleaned out the chicken coop, increased the air circulation into the coop, added some vitamins to their water and dabbed some peroxide on the hen's beak "cavity". If you have access to some antibiotics then that may help but clean air, food, water, and environment will be the most effective first aid and prevention. My hen's "cavity" is already healing.

Hi Folks
Anyone have any updates on the disposition of hens/chicks with beak sores/holes like the first one posted? In the last 24 hours, three out of my five chicks (8 weeks old) have developed similar holes. Pics below (a little fuzzy, but the Black Star's hole looks much like the first pic posted in this forum. The Wyandotte and the Buff Orp's are fresher - red, open sores.)

Thanks for any info you can share!

Same problem here, I just noticed it all of a sudden

Attachments

• 20231015_101903 (1).jpg
    20231015_101903 (1).jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom