Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

My understanding is its not the cold but light that determines poultry production. So, my thought is regarding how I can produce some extra light for my hens, without adding to my electric bill.
fl.gif
I've considered solar lighting, but even that would have some down sides since they never shut off at night and I want my birds to sleep sometime! But if nothing else I may have solar lights that get carried out into a bucket each day to recharge and into the hen house as afternoon/evening (3pm) feeding takes place. Then later I take the bucket out again closer to 8pm. This wouldn't produce as much light as say 100 watt lights, but I feel for the hens being cooped up in a shed that gets dark by 4:30pm every day during winter months! Heck I suffer from the lack of light!!!
he.gif
so I sympathize with my birds.

I'm working on an experiment as part of my biology Master's degree that challenges the old adage that chickens need so much light to sustain egg production. Commercial operations usually run on a 15 hour light cycle but those hens are bred for the specific task of laying eggs and they have a very limited life cycle under controlled environments.

My theory is that our backyard flocks produce eggs based on factors other than available light hours. I think that age, health and food sources are more important factors for egg output. I'm still gathering data so I won't speculate just yet, but my control flock has shown an initial decline in production even though the available light has increased. I can show a correlation between lower egg output and a reduction in green vegetables and insect protein for the month of January. This leads me to think that fewer worms and green food are factors in egg output. But like I said, I still need to collect and analyze more data over the next few months.

I'm sure that there will be some who will discount what I'm trying to analyze and claim that light is the mitigating factor in production. We shall see what science says about this experiment.

25 pages later, its my turn to post =)

We have alot of unused land near our coop with alot of wild Prairie grass... Today my wife an I thought it may be benificial to purchase a bag of flower seeds that attract butterflys and hummingbirds..$15..thinking that flowers bring insects, butterflys = caterpillars ect. simple.

I was already aware of the duckweed idea prior to reading about it here, Was planning to aquire some this spring for another purpose, (helping our pond from drying up). I didn't think about freezing and/or drying it out for winter use until tonight however. I am curious if chickens can eat from a Moringa tree? Lastly for those who posted about having disadvantges by living in warmer climates such as Arizona, keep in mind you have advantages we dont have, such as "guppies" you can keep them outside year round in a pond I would think.......just be sure not to intoduce them into nature,

another thought... as for maggots, apparently they thrive on old fruit as well... I was thinking that perhaps the rotten meat would be the leading cause of the diseases.....fruit would be an exception?

another thought... as for maggots, apparently they thrive on old fruit as well... I was thinking that perhaps the rotten meat would be the leading cause of the diseases.....fruit would be an exception?

I would avoid old meat for a number of reasons. If you want "worms" for your chickens, try meal worms. Oatmeal and fruit left-overs would be better for both meal worms and your chickens.
Maggots on meat are OK for chickens, but I would not want the rotting meat in my chicken run. Think of a good compost pile; the worms and other decomposers are quite good for poultry. And a good compost pile never has meat in it.

Your comment about the goats may explain the mystery of our neighbor's chickens. Down the road is a house we call the petting zoo. Their cats, goats, ducks, chickens run all over their yard and the two adjacent yards and into the woods behind their house. We wondered why the chickens don't get ate. Thought maybe it was their roosters. Oddly enough this is rather an upscale neighborhood of houses, but the one neighbor who does not want the animals in his place has fenced his 2 acres to keep them OUT. :)

I use a lot of weeds. Chickweed makes up a large portion of what my chickens eat. Also, whenever I drain my cooked meat, they get the fat from the pan.

I use the deep litter method and there are plenty of little bugs living in it. The chickens love gobbling them up.

My husband has been fishing and I am feeding a lot of huge rock fish to the chickens. They love them! All of our scraps go to the chickens. With three people, we have a lot of scraps each day.

A twenty pound rockfish is a common catch and that feed the chickens for a couple of days.

I have found the neatest thing about slippery elm, my chickens/goats seem to be doing really well when I feed them a lot of the soup I make from boiling the limbs. I mix this into their oats, everyday. I have the trees on my land so its free.

We also have the mealworms and black soldier fly larvae. This year they will make up a goodly portion of their food.

Free ranging the chickens cuts back on a huge portion of the food bill, too. Just have to expect losses to predators. Haven't had any losses since we got the goats though. Guess they are chasing the predators off?

Also, growing vegetables and fruits is a huge money saver. As long as I mulch everything really well and use my own compost, cost of growing is nearly nothing!

I LOVE thread like this!!!

I have been scraping the bark off of the logs that go in to the woodstove everyday. I throw it on the deep litter, and the bark not only helps the coop smell better, but it also helps support microbial life forms, and the chickens actually eat quite a bit of it.

I've heard Guinea hens are good for keeping predators away, anyone using guineas? Last fall I built 2 big piles of hay/ been pods etc thinking they could rummage thru in winter when snow was deep but we didn't get much snow so I have been digging around the piles to give them access to the earth worms and egg production is one egg per day from mid summer. Apples seem to keep in the piles perfectly.
Zucchini, radishes, and cherry tomatoes are 3 plants that will replant themselves year after year.
Last fall I got into a log full of bugs, so I cut and split it and threes it in their pen ad no more termites. When I clean up from cutting and splitting wood I put all the bark and sawdust on my piles, what the chickens don't eat,feeds the worms and bugs.

Last edited:
Hello, And thank you for starting this thread it is a great topic!

Well, I have 36 babies (layers) couple cockerels in there too.16 days old today. I know with feeding my family that fresh is best. I also know this would be true for my chicks I have been slowly adding grains to their diet. I do have a starter/grower as back up as i am extremely nervous about hurting them. But I have been keeping in mind what they would forage for in the woods by our place. bugs, greens and seeds. I have done some research about what to use, but every one has a different opinion. Which makes me more confused. I do use a mix of cracked wheat (I have a grinder for my wheat for my bread flour) wheat germ, wheat bran, oats, Less than 4% flax seeds and I add in Wild Bird seed for Finches. It has a variety of "Live" seeds which also includes hulled sunflower bits. I pepper their feed with grit and i also feed yogurt, cottage cheese, and spinach (ground) I am going to sprout oats for greens in the winter this is just what i have at the moment.
I can't grow all these things as my place is to small. But I have an Amish bulk food store nearby so i can get things reasonable for now while they are still young. I will be changing things up as
they grow. I will be going to my local feed mil and try and purchase "live" grains for my feed.
I have noticed that I have not had much problem with the pasty bums as i have had in the past using only commercial starter. The only things i have not added in is any vitamins or minerals and animal protein, they do eat bugs. I do not have a grinder for meat as of yet. I am working on a solution for this problem.
i will let them out to the yard as soon as weather permits. This is just my starting point. I know I will have to fine tune things as I go.

Why Do I feel more comfortable making choices like eating fresh when it comes to my diet...but when it comes to theirs I go numb with terror?

Thank you for this thread I am hoping others are wanting to feed wholesome feed too.

Hello, And thank you for starting this thread it is a great topic!

Well, I have 36 babies (layers) couple cockerels in there too.16 days old today. I know with feeding my family that fresh is best. I also know this would be true for my chicks I have been slowly adding grains to their diet. I do have a starter/grower as back up as i am extremely nervous about hurting them. But I have been keeping in mind what they would forage for in the woods by our place. bugs, greens and seeds. I have done some research about what to use, but every one has a different opinion. Which makes me more confused. I do use a mix of cracked wheat (I have a grinder for my wheat for my bread flour) wheat germ, wheat bran, oats, Less than 4% flax seeds and I add in Wild Bird seed for Finches. It has a variety of "Live" seeds which also includes hulled sunflower bits. I pepper their feed with grit and i also feed yogurt, cottage cheese, and spinach (ground) I am going to sprout oats for greens in the winter this is just what i have at the moment.
I can't grow all these things as my place is to small. But I have an Amish bulk food store nearby so i can get things reasonable for now while they are still young. I will be changing things up as
they grow. I will be going to my local feed mil and try and purchase "live" grains for my feed.
I have noticed that I have not had much problem with the pasty bums as i have had in the past using only commercial starter. The only things i have not added in is any vitamins or minerals and animal protein, they do eat bugs. I do not have a grinder for meat as of yet. I am working on a solution for this problem.
i will let them out to the yard as soon as weather permits. This is just my starting point. I know I will have to fine tune things as I go.

Why Do I feel more comfortable making choices like eating fresh when it comes to my diet...but when it comes to theirs I go numb with terror?

Thank you for this thread I am hoping others are wanting to feed wholesome feed too.

Just wanted to pass this idea along............. I just started sprouting oats for my breeders as they do not free-range. Started with glass canning jars, various baskets, etc. I was wandering around a store one day and they had salad spinners on sale. After trying them for the sprouting, they work awesome. The spinner basket makes rinsing/draining super easy. I am using 2, they are a little cumbersome sitting on the counter but you can stack them on top of eachother.

Back
Top Bottom