homemade incubator questions

DesertChickens1

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Marana, Arizona
So I'm hatching eggs for Easter and I though my friend still had an incubator I could use but she sold it. So I'm going to make my own. I have a box and a light and bedding but I need a temp and humanity gauge. Would reptile temp./humanity gauges work? If not what should I get that the local feed store might have?

I'm still in the tweaking stage with my homemade incubator so definately no expert, but thats what I bought just the other day for mine- In researching it all on here others have done the same. I haven't had a chance to break it out and test it yet-trying to get finished up on some work before I start playing with the incubator.
Hi from up north in the AZ mtns!
Regina

I'm still in the tweaking stage with my homemade incubator so definately no expert, but thats what I bought just the other day for mine- In researching it all on here others have done the same. I haven't had a chance to break it out and test it yet-trying to get finished up on some work before I start playing with the incubator.
Hi from up north in the AZ mtns!
Regina
Thanks, I'm glad I don't have to spend a bunch on something from the feed store! I love the AZ mountains! Well for vacations lol it's to high of an altitude for me to live there. I'll stick to living in the middle of the desert lol

I made my incubator.
I bought a large styrofoam cooler from Walmart for $9.
I got a 25 watt light bulb for $2 (pink) and used a hardware lightstand (removed the tin focal shade and metal clamp) to put the lightbulb in- Also $9.

I bought an electric humidity + temp monitor at Walmart (it was in a weird spot- by air conditioning stuff I think) that was also $9. I tried using the reptile ones at first but they were super unreliable!

Then I pushed 1/4" chicken wire into the middle of the cooler to make a shelf and bent it up and over the light so nothing could get close to the bulb and get burnt.

I cut 3 large vent holes in the lid and 6 small ones. I also bought a pic frame for the dollar tree to use the glass. I cut a rectangle smaller than the glass in the lid and placed the glass over the hole then duct taped it down. The glass ended up breaking but I am not sure if it was from the heat or one of my cats jumping on it? It was just cracked so I left it.

I do have to say- I don't really like the cooler bator. It is really hard to control heat and I had to watch it like a hawk.

Changes I would make:
Buy a heating coil off eBay and use that instead of a bulb- one you can adjust the heat itself not the coil that shifts up and down.

Buy a small fan off eBay to create consistent heat and ward off cool spots and hot spots.

I am currently borrowing a Little Giant Still Air Incubator from a friend- costs $40 and a way better investment than making my own! I should of just bought this from TSC myself and saved my money on buying parts to make one. It's ALWAYS consistent. I still use the electric humidity + temp monitor- I love that thing. It gives you highs and lows and instantly adjusts to even a 1% humidity change!

About $30 or $35 in the whole thing. Works great. I started by watching every YouTube video (6 or 7) that Rush Lane Poultry uploaded. I'm much more fussy and neater than he is, but the principles are all there. Incubator's Warehouse and Ebay and you're good to go.
wow! That's really nice!
I made my incubator. I bought a large styrofoam cooler from Walmart for $9. I got a 25 watt light bulb for $2 (pink) and used a hardware lightstand (removed the tin focal shade and metal clamp) to put the lightbulb in- Also $9. I bought an electric humidity + temp monitor at Walmart (it was in a weird spot- by air conditioning stuff I think) that was also $9. I tried using the reptile ones at first but they were super unreliable! Then I pushed 1/4" chicken wire into the middle of the cooler to make a shelf and bent it up and over the light so nothing could get close to the bulb and get burnt. I cut 3 large vent holes in the lid and 6 small ones. I also bought a pic frame for the dollar tree to use the glass. I cut a rectangle smaller than the glass in the lid and placed the glass over the hole then duct taped it down. The glass ended up breaking but I am not sure if it was from the heat or one of my cats jumping on it? It was just cracked so I left it. I do have to say- I don't really like the cooler bator. It is really hard to control heat and I had to watch it like a hawk. Changes I would make: Buy a heating coil off eBay and use that instead of a bulb- one you can adjust the heat itself not the coil that shifts up and down. Buy a small fan off eBay to create consistent heat and ward off cool spots and hot spots. I am currently borrowing a Little Giant Still Air Incubator from a friend- costs $40 and a way better investment than making my own! I should of just bought this from TSC myself and saved my money on buying parts to make one. It's ALWAYS consistent. I still use the electric humidity + temp monitor- I love that thing. It gives you highs and lows and instantly adjusts to even a 1% humidity change!
dang! Thank you so much! Imma go out after school and get that stuff, sounds like it'll work really well! Once I get really serious about hatching I'll go and buy one of those little giants, I've herd good things about them
Good luck and keep us posted on how your hatch goes!
I'll make sure to update when I get it done and how it works!

I lined the wire with soft rubber shelf liner so the chick's umbilical areas wouldn't get hurt. 5 feet for $1 in a roll at Dollar General.

I would pour water through the holes in the top on the light end and used the bottom of the cooler as the water tray for humidity- humidity is upped by space covered with water not the depth of water.

Back
Top Bottom