Homemade incubator!

What they said earlier, a 12 v adapter from an old phone charger. I try to keep the temp around 99, sometimes at night it would drop to 97 and I'd adjust the dimmer in the AM to raise it back up.

sooo ive done some updating on my incubator, i took an old broken laptop apart for the fan wired it to a 5v cell phone charger, and also wired a thermostat to the light buld. Sooo far i been able to keep the tempeture at 99°-100° but humidity varies i been able to keep it anywhere between 48-55%

Using any power adapter will do, it just runs the fan slower than the recommended 12v. You don't want to go over that, which will risk burning the motor out.. You don't need hurricane winds in the incubator just enough to gently circulate the air. I usually run a 12v pc fan from a 5 Volt adapter. Just saying because I don't know what cell phone uses a 12v charger, so could be hard to find.

Oh yeah, remember that warm air rises so you will have thermal layers in your incubator without the fan. It should be sucking up and blowing upward(not down which will cook the eggs too high) creating the correct convection current. It appears in the picture that it is pointed to the side, which sucks and blows side to side. This does not take advantage of the current as effectively as is following the laws of thermodynamics. Once a fan is properly installed in an incubator there is much less energy required from the heat source to stay at a desired temperature.

Thanks im ganna have to fix my fan im waiting to see how this hatch goes before i start messing with it would u suggest the fan shoitvair down or up?
Using any power adapter will do, it just runs the fan slower than the recommended 12v. You don't want to go over that, which will risk burning the motor out.. You don't need hurricane winds in the incubator just enough to gently circulate the air. I usually run a 12v pc fan from a 5 Volt adapter. Just saying because I don't know what cell phone uses a 12v charger, so could be hard to find.

Oh yeah, remember that warm air rises so you will have thermal layers in your incubator without the fan. It should be sucking up and blowing upward(not down which will cook the eggs too high) creating the correct convection current. It appears in the picture that it is pointed to the side, which sucks and blows side to side. This does not take advantage of the current as effectively as is following the laws of thermodynamics. Once a fan is properly installed in an incubator there is much less energy required from the heat source to stay at a desired temperature.

Back
Top Bottom