Homemade scratch question

I had heard that corn can cause fatty liver disease in chickens. I'm wondering how much is too much? We a blessed and lucky to have 22 healthy chickens and I would like to keep it that way!
big_smile.png

The fatty liver can come simply from too much carbohydrate in the diet. Only during periods of extreme cold do I keep whole corn inclusion rate up around 25% for any length of time. This is in addition to corn on the chick grower formulation used to base my diets on.

You can get such a problem whenever you have an imbalance in nutrients relative to what is needed.

The fatty liver can come simply from too much carbohydrate in the diet. Only during periods of extreme cold do I keep whole corn inclusion rate up around 25% for any length of time. This is in addition to corn on the chick grower formulation used to base my diets on.

You can get such a problem whenever you have an imbalance in nutrients relative to what is needed.
We have been mixing cracked corn or fancy scratch with layer feed. 50lb feed to 40lbs scratch/corn. They are free range all day everyday and get veg and fruit scrapes. Am I giving too much corn? They also get some scratch for a treat. It sure has trained them to come to me when I call.

We have been mixing cracked corn or fancy scratch with layer feed. 50lb feed to 40lbs scratch/corn.  They are free range all day everyday and get veg and fruit scrapes.  Am I giving too much corn? They also get some scratch for a treat. It sure has trained them to come to me when I call.  

Once you are in the realm of free range nutrition with laying hens I base it on egg production and overall appearance of hens. If they are performing and look good then the foraging is making up for shortfalls of your feed mixture.

Back
Top Bottom