Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
Quote: Donna, could you also send copes my way. I have dial up so if you would, send them in acouple emails. DO you still have my email? See my profile page.

I'm struggling to access more than the one quiz per video . . . were you able to access the teachrs versions for $19+ ??

I didn't think I needed the Teachers version. How big of a file can you down load at a time? 10 MB or 20 MB or smaller? Some email companies put limits on file size. If you can handle a bigger file you can download them over night. HUM..... anybody got an idea how I can share these easier? A web page maybe? I will PM you.

My kids are not taught cursive writing after the one effort during the 3rd grade. I have found several cursive writing options with printable letters and most recently found an option to print their spelling words via SpellingCity.com link.

After a couple exercises with print writing to learn the spelling words and definitions, my 10 yr old son had to use the cursive sheets to use as a list of the spelling words to solve other games, and then practiced the cursive words ( first tracing the word, then free writing on a handwriting paper).

My concern is that many people write in cursive, especially grandparents, and it has become another language to learn toboost communication.

On another note__ while talking to the librarian tonight I asked why the Eye Witness books were in the adult section and not over in the childrens section l SHe waid the kids never took the books out at all, never. ANd theywere trying out this location to see if interest could be stirred up. She asked my why kids would not be interested in these books . . . being familiar with them, I looked at the pages and said the font is too small. Yes, and the paragraphs were too big. THe new generation of readers are living in the digital age of small snippets of informatin and have lost the ability to read extended text, if only of about 200-300 words.

THe EYe Witness series is wonderful: a good size book to hold ( about 10 x 12)and every page crammed with great photos or drawings and a caption to go with each. And the videos are good too-- the videos are more dynamic of course and the book is a recap of the videos which are narrated. Some of the subject matter is over the heads of younger children but the content is well worth not understanding a few of the concepts that children will grasp in time.

I am going to start teaching cursive right off with my guys. It seems it eliminates some learning disorders. Kids are less likely to mix up letters like b and d since in cursive they don't look the same. I got some worksheets at the Dollar Tree and you can find all kinds of worksheets to print off. I got some awhile back for my McGuffey reeders. It uses cursive in the books and someone made some worksheets for each of the McGuffey readers.

Started writing with the 3 yr old tonight and was surprised at how well he did with print. I think I will just use both with him right off.

Quote: Donna, could you also send copes my way. I have dial up so if you would, send them in acouple emails. DO you still have my email? See my profile page.

I'm struggling to access more than the one quiz per video . . . were you able to access the teachrs versions for $19+ ??

I didn't think I needed the Teachers version. How big of a file can you down load at a time? 10 MB or 20 MB or smaller? Some email companies put limits on file size. If you can handle a bigger file you can download them over night. HUM..... anybody got an idea how I can share these easier? A web page maybe? I will PM you.
I'm going video by video and printing just the one quiz page out of the 3 pages. So if this is the same as your down loads, I"m doing ok. So I"ll cancel my request for the down loads. I have sllllloooow dial up-- and often the connection is lost, so have yet to manage to complete even one overnight down load. THanks for trying though.

I am going to start teaching cursive right off with my guys. It seems it eliminates some learning disorders. Kids are less likely to mix up letters like b and d since in cursive they don't look the same. I got some worksheets at the Dollar Tree and you can find all kinds of worksheets to print off. I got some awhile back for my McGuffey reeders. It uses cursive in the books and someone made some worksheets for each of the McGuffey readers.

Started writing with the 3 yr old tonight and was surprised at how well he did with print. I think I will just use both with him right off.
THis is wonderful.

My 10 year old still mixes up b and d !! No dislexia-- just confuses the 2 REGULARLY.

For the BIll Nye segment, only one of the 3 groups of videos has an assortment of word finds. The reson for the word finds is to create word familiarity; and helps with spelling. Perhaps use as an intro to a subject.

Puzzlemaker.com is easy to use to make a word search-- just put in your own list of words.

ANd I like to also use words as spelling words and list on SpellingCity .com using the batch method of listing a good number of words all at once. Again more games to play, including sentence structure ( placing individual words from a preloadeed sentence done at the time of creating the list, and drag each word into order. Love the self correcting methodology so the program tell the student if the order is right.)

Wow this is great.
thumbsup.gif
Just joined byc this morning. Have a 6 year old grand daughter that we are helping with raising. Home schooled her for kindergarten last year using the U.S.A curriculum because we feel that it is more advanced than the Canadian. Helpful hints for online support is always good. Especially when your not from that country.

Wow this is great.
thumbsup.gif
Just joined byc this morning. Have a 6 year old grand daughter that we are helping with raising. Home schooled her for kindergarten last year using the U.S.A curriculum because we feel that it is more advanced than the Canadian. Helpful hints for online support is always good. Especially when your not from that country.
welcome-byc.gif

Feedback on Bill Nye the Science guy on the series covering the body: smell, digestion, etc.

My boys are loving this. Very easy to get them to fill out the 15 question form as they watch the episode. I ask them to write 2 questions they would like an answer to BEFORE viewing, to drum up participation. After, we go thru each question, and rewatch if necessary to find answers missed the first time. This step is a great way to discuss what was viewed.

I catch my youngest popping in discs when he has free time!! Perhaps he will really become an astrophysicist . . . .time will tell. lol

Back
Top Bottom