Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

Pics
I have researched this site for a couple days and so far none of the experiements are suitable for materials commonly found around the home; need specialized equipmentand solutions.  http://highschoolchemistryguide.com/

You can get pretty much everything you need from www.unitednuclear.com they are hardly the cheapest but they are a one stop shop and are consumer/public friendly, something you won't find with many other 'chemistry and chemical' supply companies...

Quote: Donna, if I might make a suggestion: look for small dictionaries with few words compared to , say the Webster's dictionary, and drawings. Drawings are helpful to keep youngsters looking into a book of any kind, lol.

You might also introduce the "dictionary" idea by making a small dictionary, one word per page of some of their favorite words and common words, put into alphbetacal order. Making the book can be either YOU run the end thru a sewing machine or use those brass fasteners ( or other mteal) pushed thru holes made by a paper punch. Just an idea . . . .

WHen my kids were starting school the teachers handed out"sight" words for a fw years; a new list of new words every year. Our language is one of hte hardest to learn because of the number of sound alike words that are spelled differently. And for every word that follows "spelling rules" there is one that does not. Our school stopped teaching those rules, so I tried to help my kids with those rules:My thinking is that with the rules, a child has a 50% chance of spelling a word right.

Also as the kids learn to type on a keyboard, the first few letters need to be right for the spell check to help.

Quote:
celebrate.gif
THank you!!!!!!!!!

On another note-- I was reading the home page for our school and stumbled on a listing I missed in the spring-- a program that 8th graders need to apply for BEFORE the end of the school year. I can only imagine the number of kids that missed out on applying because it was posted so late in the year . . but it is 5 fields of study for high schoolers to focus on and get some experience before finding out in college they dont really like it or they love it but are behind other students. We are one of 22 schools in Mass with t his program.

Last edited:
@Arielle I am going to use something like that for vocabulary words. They will need a dictionary for that and I don't want it to be intimidating for them to use a REAL dictionary. So If I start them early with that it will be normal. I have never tried to lower things for the kids, they need to be elevated to the task. We are going to really work on their vocabulary, that is something that is really lacking today in school. Some of the words are going to be hard and they will need to study the dictionary to figure out what and how to use them.

@Dafty Duck

Hoffman Academy he has a website too and is still adding videos.

Hubby can teach him guitar and I can teach flute grandma works with him on singing. The 5 year old LOVES music and I think the 3 year old will follow but they are different so we will see.

@Arielle I am going to use something like that for vocabulary words. They will need a dictionary for that and I don't want it to be intimidating for them to use a REAL dictionary. So If I start them early with that it will be normal. I have never tried to lower things for the kids, they need to be elevated to the task. We are going to really work on their vocabulary, that is something that is really lacking today in school. Some of the words are going to be hard and they will need to study the dictionary to figure out what and how to use them.

@Dafty Duck

Hoffman Academy he has a website too and is still adding videos.

Hubby can teach him guitar and I can teach flute grandma works with him on singing. The 5 year old LOVES music and I think the 3 year old will follow but they are different so we will see.
Sorry-- I meant it as a stepping stone of easy and fun to harder. Some dictionaries are phycially large and unweldly. And the print tiny. As their teacher you will be guided by their abilities and how easily they use thier materials. You will be able to adjust their resources where as a public school teacher will not.

In my house, I have always used big words ( along with simple words) as kids can understand more than most people think they can. THey are only held back by lack of challenging circumstances. Years ago I met the grandchildren of a Nobel prize winner ( in science) and was shocked to hear these kids younger than I ( I was their sitter) use words I did not know. AND I HAD A GOOD VOCAB! They are the ones that helped me realize I can build a big vocab for my kids starting their first 5 years.

I already see my kids viewing learning as a chore. THe years of public school have taught them to do as the teacher says. ANd only that. It is very troubling to see: they only work if I require it. ANd do not feel the internal pull to know more.

Home schooled children keep that yearning to know more with a little support.

No need to be sorry. I just want my kids to feel that they can use ANY book even reference books with ease.

Sorry to be MIA, hubby had surgery last week and we have been so busy getting chickens ready I have not had much extra time.

I have been looking at online curricula like a mad woman.  I tried to register for an umbrella school but that didn't work and I have not had time to call them and get it fixed.  I need to do that so the school work we do I can count for attendance.  Tonight I worked on getting the SCHOOL ROOM ready..... pleased with how that is going.  Got the white board and world/US maps up.  Calendar will be next.  A few things are not fitting in the room like I would like but I think I will end up moving some things out, like a toy box.  I don't really want them to play in there.  There is a computer that we need to get hooked back up and connected to the TV somehow.  (older computer probably no HDMI port)  We also will be hooking up the piano to the computer (I hope) if not we have a free piano program on Youtube that seems like a good program.  Now I can get the bookshelves and put the rest of the books up.  I have plenty of room for all the STUFF I have accumulated.  Now..... where did I put those casters for the plastic drawers for crafts supplies...... :th

GETTING READY TO START SCHOOL

HOW IS EVERYONE ELSE DOING WITH GETTING STARTED? 

I hope your hubby is feeling well! :-( I've been so busy myself and the new school year is bearing down on me like a tsunami!

Piano program? Do tell!! My mother bought us a piano that has ports and connectors and such for a computer hookup but I haven't found the time to do the research into programs.

I already see my kids viewing learning as a chore. THe years of public school have taught them to do as the teacher says. ANd only that. It is very troubling to see: they only work if I require it. ANd do not feel the internal pull to know more. 

Home schooled children keep that yearning to know more with a little support. 

This has definitely been our biggest challenge. The desire to learn MUST come from within. Inspiring that when it has been beaten from a child is... shall we say... monumentally difficult

Back
Top Bottom