Homing Chicken??

mikeksfarmer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Bonner springs KS
July 7, 2012

Friends this is amazing! I have a homing chicken. Really! I have a Welsumer roo and hatched two sisters from an Americana. When they grew up I thought one was eating her eggs and that she was laying them on the ground just inside the door of the pen. Catching her with a recent broken egg I went into the pen and clipped her tail back and one of her wings. This I thought would make her easy to pick out. Thinking that I needed to stop this egg eating I offered her to my brother who lives more than 20 miles away in Shawnee Kansas. I live in Bonner Springs Kansas When he came to get her we discovered she was not an egg eater but laying her eggs up on a plat form just above the pen door. Some of the eggs were being kicked off and they would break and get eaten. So I gave her to him anyway. I was sad to hear three days later she was gone. He living in the city I figured a dog or my brother says he sees some foxes in the neighborhood. Last week I started getting two olive eggs a day and one was speckled. I only have 15 hens but figured this one hen (sister) was really going at it. I have been working so much I hadn’t really done a head count. Last night I noticed I had two hens that looked like Welsumers but had ear muffs like the American. Today I confirmed it, its her! I have not done exact mileage but I am sure its at least 20 miles, the Kansas River, three highways and who knows what else. Has anyone ever seen this before? I am dumbfounded!
Mike

I do trust my brother but maybe his wife brought it back. The more I think about it, this is just imposable. Three highways and a river, not to mention creeks, predators and more. And she had a clipped wing. If this really did happen its way amazing!

I have had gamehens return from 1/2 mile away but not all could do it and required more than a day. I am pretty sure they had to be able to hear rooster / harem master they were associated with to find way home. They also appeared to make much of return via short flights of a hundred yards or so each.

Longer distances I think unlikely unless pushed by a predator or the hen is left out in the middle of a big feild and home is only cover apparent.

July 7, 2012

Friends this is amazing! I have a homing chicken. Really! I have a Welsumer roo and hatched two sisters from an Americana. When they grew up I thought one was eating her eggs and that she was laying them on the ground just inside the door of the pen. Catching her with a recent broken egg I went into the pen and clipped her tail back and one of her wings. This I thought would make her easy to pick out. Thinking that I needed to stop this egg eating I offered her to my brother who lives more than 20 miles away in Shawnee Kansas. I live in Bonner Springs Kansas When he came to get her we discovered she was not an egg eater but laying her eggs up on a plat form just above the pen door. Some of the eggs were being kicked off and they would break and get eaten. So I gave her to him anyway. I was sad to hear three days later she was gone. He living in the city I figured a dog or my brother says he sees some foxes in the neighborhood. Last week I started getting two olive eggs a day and one was speckled. I only have 15 hens but figured this one hen (sister) was really going at it. I have been working so much I hadn’t really done a head count. Last night I noticed I had two hens that looked like Welsumers but had ear muffs like the American. Today I confirmed it, its her! I have not done exact mileage but I am sure its at least 20 miles, the Kansas River, three highways and who knows what else. Has anyone ever seen this before? I am dumbfounded!
Mike
Wow lol. I’m in KCMO. You should submit it to the news for a fluff price. I would watch it! Lol

Back
Top Bottom