NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I was wondering for those who have owned homing pigeons:

#1. Can the pigeons be tamed and enjoy your company?

#2. Will they return to they're loft often?

#3. How likely will a predator kill them?

#4. Can they be trained to come back to a loft if I ever moved?

#5. Are males or females preferable to own? Are they about the same?

#6. What care do they need?

Thx,

#1 Yes pigeons can be tamed but it can be tricky to get a pet that likes cuddles and petting unless you hand feed them when young. Otherwise they will come near but not too close.
#2 If they are currently nesting or have young they will return frequently, but at the very least they will return for the nigh.
#3 That depends on the concentration of predators in your area, how much other prey there is, and how each individual bird reacts to threat. If you let them free-roam you will lose some.
#4 It can be tricky but usually if you can convince them to nest again they will stay.
#5 In my experience males tend to be a bit bolder and easier to tame but females are a bit more clingy once you gain their respect.
#6 They need feed, water, to be provided with a bath, a clean home, disease and pest treatment if needed, and a place with no rats.

#1 Yes pigeons can be tamed but it can be tricky to get a pet that likes cuddles and petting unless you hand feed them when young. Otherwise they will come near but not too close.
#2 If they are currently nesting or have young they will return frequently, but at the very least they will return for the nigh.
#3 That depends on the concentration of predators in your area, how much other prey there is, and how each individual bird reacts to threat. If you let them free-roam you will lose some.
#4 It can be tricky but usually if you can convince them to nest again they will stay.
#5 In my experience males tend to be a bit bolder and easier to tame but females are a bit more clingy once you gain their respect.
#6 They need feed, water, to be provided with a bath, a clean home, disease and pest treatment if needed, and a place with no rats.
Thank you for this info! In the further future I may get some homing pigeons then.

I was wondering for those who have owned homing pigeons:

#1. Can the pigeons be tamed and enjoy your company?

#2. Will they return to they're loft often?

#3. How likely will a predator kill them?

#4. Can they be trained to come back to a loft if I ever moved?

#5. Are males or females preferable to own? Are they about the same?

#6. What care do they need?

Thx,
1. Yes! Especially hand raised birds. I've been hand feeding my flock every night lately, and they are so much friendlier. It only took a couple days.

2. My Rollers get let out every morning and go in and out of the loft all day. Mostly they lay on the roof in the sun. They all come in for dinner at night.

3. Same as a chicken, except homers can fly 80 MPH!!

4. I've read some homers will return to their home loft after over five years!

5. Pretty much the same. Males are a little friendlier.

6. Regular looking pigeons are very easy. Mine eat chicken food (with the correct protein). They can't use 'nipple' waterers, though, Pigeons and doves actually use their beaks like straws.

Thank you for this info! I do think in the future I will get some!
Mine came today! They're so beautiful!
20220804_075320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom