Hooping it up!

Lol. Don't let it get to you. I posted something that had a ton of views and no responses. Sadly, I just replied to myself in hopes someone will join in. Keep on posting...

Talkalittle asked about why you are blobking underneath.
My thought is to prevent predatory entry. Is this correct?

No, not worried about predators getting in (the bottom is full solid wood, no gaps). I covered the two sides so far for a couple reasons:

1. I had it left over from a deck project
2. I wanted to hide the base (check out the first pictures and you'll see why)
3. I thought it looked nice
4. There is 12" of height under the coop. I made it this way in case the chickens wanted to go under there for shade/dry spot.
5. I plan on covering the back side as well, so it will be a secluded spot on 3 sides with access on one side.

Calling all "major" work on the coop finished. Now it's onto securing the pen and setting up the roost/water/feed tube (you can see the hopper coming out the right side)

Last edited:
Looks great! :D
Is their any way to reroute the dog pen to attach it to just where I see the hens can access in and out rather than using the pen to enclose the coop itself?

Last edited:
x2. Seems like it would be a better use of space and easier to secure and cover it with the coop outside of it. You'll also be able to access the coop and nest boxes better. Since you have chainlink off of one side already, you could have that side meet up to the side of the coop where the ramp will go and then cover any open area with hardwire, the add a tarp, roof, and/or wire across the top of the run.

Really struggling with the run now. I took the advice of glg1992 and measured out the space to move the pen to the OUTSIDE of the coop. Sadly, it's about 4 inches too wide and hits a large tree on the left (looking at the space). Now, I have the space to the right of the coop, but this thing is about 500lbs of wood right now...no joke, and it's all level. I would REALLY hate to try and move this thing and have something crack, or have it be un-level with no way for me to lift it to add leveling wood underneath.

I contemplated building a new run, and not using the pen at all, but with that comes two big issues:

1. The cost. One of the reasons we built the coop was because we already had the pen doing nothing in the yard for 10 years.
2. Cementing in the posts is too permanant. We only plan on being in this house maybe another year (2 at most), and if I start cementing in posts, it's going to be a "you know what" to remove them. We plan on renting the house after we move as we can't sell it right now.

So my first idea was to "frame out" the inside of the pen with pressure treated 2x4's and attach my hardware cloth ($$) to that. I am still worried about the gaps around the gate, and attaching the lumber to the metal frame and have it be sturdy. To be brutally honest, I'd much rather build something new, but then we still have this stupid pen laying around. I also thought about taking the chain link off the metal frame and using that "sandwiched" between lumber, but again, I am buying double the lumber to accomplish that.

It's getting close to cold weather here, and I was hoping to already have chickens this summer. I've spent more than I intended to already on the coop, so I am kinda frustrated. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Well, if you're only going to be there for another year then you might want to just make do with what you've got. I assume you'll be taking the coop with you when you go. Just build a spacious run when you get there.

Or sell the dog pen and put the money toward the cost of supplies for a new pen for your current location.

Back
Top Bottom