Hopeful chicken lady in Clarkston, MI

arhw3

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2023
Clarkston, MI
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
No chickens yet :( Our township requires 1.5 acres for the first and 1/4 acre for each additional. I'm not ready to be a rebel, so I'm daydreaming and weighing my options between us moving to a bigger lot/house (tbh, we kind of need it, just wasn't in the plans for another few years) OR working to change township requirements.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Want 3-6 :(

(3) What breeds do you have?
n/a

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Husband is looking forward to fresh eggs, I'm looking forward to friends in the garden with me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I knit and crochet, maintain a veggie garden in warm months, tap our maple trees in the winter, and do a lot of canning. Lately we've done a lot of wild bird watching to try to quench my chicken/bird needs but it just isn't doing the trick. Want a few chickie girls :(

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Work from home, just me and hubs, and we have a mini dachshund and two (indoor) cats.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Search engine, researching chickens in my area and how to change bylaws. I've read content on the site for at least a year now, but finally jumping into the forums. I won't be super active, I'm very much a wallflower in every aspect, but I'd love to get to know people in the Clarkston, MI area (specifically Springfield Twp) if they're also interested in changing rules. We all know chickens don't need the space requirements set, it's more for neighbors. But if they want to regulate a small quantity of chickens, no roos, and tell me where to put my coop, I'm cool with that, too.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Almost always, Quail are not considered poultry in townships, HOA,s ect... Lots of peeps here on BYC that can't keep chickens keep Quail. Quail are very interesting little birds to keep. Very smart, friendly, curious and active. I suggest female only, (males crow) Coturnix Quail. They make good indoor pets too, you can keep them outside as well, great layers and those with chicken egg allergies can usually eat Quail eggs.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Last edited:
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
No chickens yet :( Our township requires 1.5 acres for the first and 1/4 acre for each additional. I'm not ready to be a rebel, so I'm daydreaming and weighing my options between us moving to a bigger lot/house (tbh, we kind of need it, just wasn't in the plans for another few years) OR working to change township requirements.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Want 3-6 :(

(3) What breeds do you have?
n/a

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Husband is looking forward to fresh eggs, I'm looking forward to friends in the garden with me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I knit and crochet, maintain a veggie garden in warm months, tap our maple trees in the winter, and do a lot of canning. Lately we've done a lot of wild bird watching to try to quench my chicken/bird needs but it just isn't doing the trick. Want a few chickie girls :(

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Work from home, just me and hubs, and we have a mini dachshund and two (indoor) cats.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Search engine, researching chickens in my area and how to change bylaws. I've read content on the site for at least a year now, but finally jumping into the forums. I won't be super active, I'm very much a wallflower in every aspect, but I'd love to get to know people in the Clarkston, MI area (specifically Springfield Twp) if they're also interested in changing rules. We all know chickens don't need the space requirements set, it's more for neighbors. But if they want to regulate a small quantity of chickens, no roos, and tell me where to put my coop, I'm cool with that, too.
Welcome to BYC!! Good luck getting chickens. :)

Back
Top Bottom