Horizonal Nipples Still Freezing Even With Deicer

twobuckchuckfarm

Chirping
May 26, 2022
Like most in the midwest, we are experiencing a cold snap in Ohio. Its -5f (-30 with windchill) and my thermostat inside the coop reads 1f. I have all 7 girls safely stowed inside the coop, and closed off access to the run to protect them from the 40mph chilly gusts of wind whipping across our property. They seem fine in the coop and are actively eating and scratching for the grain I scattered early this morning.

I noticed that the horizontal nipples on our 2 gallon waterer (linked below) are frozen. The 150 watt chicken deicer (also linked below) is working and has succeeded at keeping the entire tank of water thawed. However, the metal pins are frozen solid and water will not flow freely.

All my research suggested that these horizontal nipples were "anti-freezing". Does anyone know what may be going wrong on my end? Is this normal for such nasty weather conditions? Can anyone offer any advice on modifications I should make to my equipment or installation? Many thanks for your help and stay warm!

DEICER
https://www.ruralking.com/chicken-b...jm8maafgC78o7pSqTgkaAmmMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

WATER TANK
RentACoop Twin Cup Chicken Waterer and Feeder Set - 10lbs/2 Gal https://a.co/d/g4WPfzI

A couple thoughts, the first is that deicers and heaters cycle. I find my heated goat tank ices over in the off cycle when it's this cold, and then when the cycle turns back on it gets rid of the ice. That can be in the space of a few hours. I have not had this problem with my chicken one personally, but this is probably the most likely.

Second is water on the outside of the nipple can freeze it shut - something to be cautious of if there was snow on top of the container when you brought it inside, or if you spilled down the side as you were filling it, etc

Third is chickens will eat snow, so i provide mine an ice cream bucket of clean snow in the coop as a backup if the heaters are struggling.

Fourth, add more insulation to the tank, by wrapping cardboard or fleece around it, or similar. Will lighten the load on the heater and let it do more.

Lastly, you can try to get more heat circling near the nipples, by trying things like moving the deicer a bit closer to the nipples, or creating more water circulation, like with a little aquarium bubbler or pump.

A couple thoughts, the first is that deicers and heaters cycle. I find my heated goat tank ices over in the off cycle when it's this cold, and then when the cycle turns back on it gets rid of the ice. That can be in the space of a few hours. I have not had this problem with my chicken one personally, but this is probably the most likely.

Second is water on the outside of the nipple can freeze it shut - something to be cautious of if there was snow on top of the container when you brought it inside, or if you spilled down the side as you were filling it, etc

Third is chickens will eat snow, so i provide mine an ice cream bucket of clean snow in the coop as a backup if the heaters are struggling.

Fourth, add more insulation to the tank, by wrapping cardboard or fleece around it, or similar. Will lighten the load on the heater and let it do more.

Lastly, you can try to get more heat circling near the nipples, by trying things like moving the deicer a bit closer to the nipples, or creating more water circulation, like with a little aquarium bubbler or pump.
Thank you very much for all your insight! I just went back out to check on the girls and the nipples are still frozen solid. It's entirely possible that the heater cycled at point today and I just didnt witness it. I took your advice and moved the deicer as close to the front of the tank (where the nipples are installed) as possible. While I was fiddling with things the girls all began to peck at the snow on my boots. I filled up an empty bowl with snow and they all took to it immediately, just as you suggested!

Hopefully the snow and the hot soaked crumble I offered them this morning will be enough to hydrate them for now. Fingers crossed that repositioning the deicer will remedy the frozen horizontal nipples!

Success! The nipples are no longer freezing after applying a few of your suggestions. I created an insulated "coozy" for the water tank using reflective bubble wrap and tape (linked below). I also proped the deicer closer to the nipples by placing a rock in the bottom of the tank. Thank you again for your advice!

INSULATION
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...eIQl109U47A_W2wIg0RoCDq8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
20221224_133027.jpg
20221224_132942.jpg

Back
Top Bottom