Horrible Chicken Mommy of the Year Award Goes to Me.

Picky Chicky

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
Holly Grove, VA
I've raised chickens now for a couple years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Aside from the occasional squirrely toenails, foot caught in something, beat up roo comb, we really haven't had any emergencies. That all changed two Monday's ago, and yesterday I earned myself the MOST HORRIBLE CHICKEN MOMMA OF THE WORLD award.

Two Monday's ago we had a bear attack at 3am. The dogs typically "sound off", but were quiet. My husband woke up to chicken screams. Fast forward - it was a bear attack. I lost one chicken, and almost a rooster. This left me at 4 hens, and sort of a rooster. The rooster's comb was beaten up, his spur broken-looking (it was swollen and heavily bruised). His plumage was ripped out of his butt and all he had was a stump of a couple random feathers poking out. He looked like one of those old Looney Toons cartoon characters. The most damage was at his back - about the size of the back of your hand. It was covered in a dry bloodied scab. He was in bad shape, but each day appeared to improve.

This past Monday I told my husband that aside from the back wound, he seemed to really be back to his old self. Stretching, ruffling his feathers, crowing non-stop, and carrying on with his ladies. The one concern I had was that the wound appeared to be "caving in" on itself, and I didn't think that was a good sign. Yesterday morning I realized how right I was... the situation was dire and grim.

When I let the chickens out of the coop, I smelled something putrid and immediately focused in on the rooster's back. It had literally caved in with the depth of a golf ball sized hole. Inside that hole I caught a brief glimpse of hundreds of black shiny bugs crawling around inside his wound. Enter dry heaves and gagging here!!
sickbyc.gif
My rooster decided to take it one horror movie step further by munching on the bugs in his back. Double gag!

My husband was in a meeting at work and I knew I couldn't "dispatch" him - I haven't had that experience yet and was too...chicken. So I called my medic brother. He was curious about the wound and wondered why I didn't see maggots. He offered to do the deed, and I left for work.

Later he told me after he took care of the situation, that the rooster was in worse shape than either one of us could believe. As healthy as he seemed to be running around, he was extremely messed up. The wound was so deep that it exposed his organs. Apparently after he dispatched the rooster, he found 20x more black bugs and maggots eating away at his insides.

I feel horrible and so guilty. I completely failed my rooster. God forbid if we have anything attack or chickens again in the future, we will be much more cognizant on inspecting the wounds more closely. If bad, we will cull the chicken much sooner.

Meanwhile, I'm going to rinse my eyes out with bleach - I'll never get that vision of those bugs, and the rooster eating from his back out my head ever again.
hide.gif
sickbyc.gif
hit.gif

As sad as it is, we live, we learn. Next time you know to be checking and cleaning the wound regularily. You did the right thing by putting him down when you realized how bad the situation was.

Yes, don't be too hard on yourself. We live and we learn. He is at ease, now.

Besides, I don't think you can beat MY Most Horriblest Chicken Mommy EVER Award. I don't even want to admit what I didn't do and which cost the life of two of my birds - and I shan't. Suffice to say I, too, have learned.

I hate that experience is the best teacher.

hugs.gif

Don't take it out on yourself. I procrastinated on cleaning the coop for over a month when I first got started, and lost two chickens to cocci, that were supposed to be at an immune age. I didn't even know what it was.
hugs.gif

Can you hand me the bleach when your done??
lol.png
Yuck!!!! Don't beat yourself up. You did the best you could and it's hard sometimes to know something is wrong when they are running around like normal!!

I'm sorry for your loss, but you didn't hurt the roo, a bear did.

Imp

ETA- Clarity

Last edited:
Yep championship trophey there!!! Loved the story... We have all done stupid stuff... No worries.. Loved the detail recount... thanks!!!

hugs.gif
So sorry for you and your experience. We can't know everything and he seemed to be doing ok. Like others have said, we live and learn, in every aspect of our lives. Don't beat yourself up. You did what you thought was right and that's all we can do. Take a few days to come to terms with it . We had the BEST dog in the world until March, when he got hit by a car. Now I know that probably isn't the same, but it is. Cause we probably could have prevented it if we had taught him properly. We only had him 1 yr. Came to us already trained, but he never had the experience of a busy road. We tried to train him, but apparently not enough. It was pretty rough for a few wks. But we know next time, that will be the first thing we train our next dog. Said that only to say, we sometimes learn the hard way. Again,
hugs.gif
to you.

Back
Top Bottom