Horses stomped a predator

The mare I had when I was young would do that to pigs. My sister raised pigs and they got out once, that horse almost killed them. She had them cornered and when ever a pig would make a move for a way out she would strike out with the front feet.

Quote:
You're exactly right Pat. My dog is trained that no matter what, he will not go into the pastures. The barn cats have learned to stay away also.

My dog slipped up one day and went two feet in while I was out in the pasture bringing in a horse and got kicked. He won't be forgetting that anytime soon.

Wow, I sure have learned a thing or two about horses from this thread!! Had no idea they were so territorial! I've only 'admired them from afar', lol! never had too much dealings with horses. Sounds like a good way to deal with some of life's less desireable two-legged predators though!! Let's toss a few of them into the horse pen for a good stomping! Guess that's where the term
horse-sense comes from!!!
smile.png

I would be worried about how and why a raccoon came to be within stomping distance of my horses. Raccoons are fairly intelligent animals and I would think not likely to accidentaly (and certainly not intentionally) wander into the path of aggrivated horses! Did you have the raccoon's body sent to your state lab for testing for rabies? It seems like the raccoon may have been acting strangely...

Rabies is a big problem in my area, so we are maybe a bit more cautious when it comes to wild animals that may be behaving abnormally. Hopefully it's not as much of a concern in your area.

My horses hate my dogs, that's for sure. Most of them wouldn't think twice about kicking them! But our electric fence does a good job of keeping the dogs out of the pastures. My chickens also aggrivate the heck out of them around feeding time, and they get a lot of ears-laid-back looks and tail swishing but luckily the horses haven't hurt any of them--it would be impossible to keep my free-ranging birds out of the fields. And honestly, I don't want to, with the amount of bugs that they eat out there! They even spread the manure out and pick bugs out of that--I imagine it really helps to keep the numbers of flies and parasites down for the horses.

Unfortunately, the feral pigs here are used to chasing the (also feral) BLM horses that their owner has. They come into my pasture and chase my filly from one end to the other, so I was glad to find that the pony would flat-out attack pigs. I won't go near the pigs without a pitchfork in my hand (soon a shotgun) because the boar is aggressive. Last year he was young and fairly small - he's a potbelly cross - this year he looks to be much bigger.

My dogs don't roam around the horse pasture, but the horses are OK with my dog. I would rather they chase dogs out of the fence than dogs chase them through it.

Cheers,
Michelle

My horse is very mild mannered, she has a goat buddy and LOVES dogs....... She used to be TERRIFIED of chickens, but since I got some moved in next door, she's now very unconcerned about them...

I'm afraid if a coyote came into our yard, she'd try make friends with the darn thing!
he.gif

Our neighbors horse is god with dogs-I wish she'd kick our dog back home-she's a little 8 pound chi/doxie that can walk through the fence (rabbit style fencing) and barks at sweet Rose.Rose- the horse ignores her completely

Back
Top Bottom