Hot weather breeds?

gardenermark

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
St Augustine
Hi folks, I'm a Florida native....born and bred! I'm near St. Augustine . I haven't started my flock yet, but I need recommendations for breeds that can handle the hot , humid summertime conditions of northeast Florida. I would like to raise dual purpose birds. I plan on starting small, with only a few birds, then increasing my flock as I gain experience. I hope to use the birds as garden helpers. Any information would be welcomed.

As to types of chickens, a good start would be to visit your local feed store. Most sell baby chicks in spring time. I am sure many Florida peeps can give you their opinions as well. One suggestion that popped into my mind is about your coop. Since you don't have one yet, consider constructing an open air type. Provide a shelter from the winds that are common to your area. Most important is of course so your chickens don't cook from the heat. Navigate to the LEARNING CENTER as well as COOPS for many ideas and information. There is much to be learned there. WISHING YOU SUCCESS.

AND OF COURSE
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the advice, cavemanrich! I have thought about an open air coop, since our winters are fairly mild. It rarely gets much below freezing here. If the coop was closed off on the north and west sides it would block off the cold winter winds. I see free range chickens in my area that have no coop, roosting in trees. Thanks for commenting!

A coop is somewhat essential , to provide shelter and protection from predators. An open air type will will have a roof over to protect from sun and rain. The roof can be made of tarp material. When the sun starts to go down, you know where your chickens are heading for. Not sure if you ever heard the term " MADDER THAN A WET HEN" Self explanatory for need of roof.
D.gif

Yes, cavemanrich, I will put a roof on the coop and over half the run to provide shade. I'm thinking it will have hardware cloth on the south side for plenty of ventilation. I plan to have 2 tractors, one to fit the garden beds and a larger one for moving around my property.

Last edited:
American Game chickens are very hardy and smart and most will give you good eggs and the roosters are pretty and good free rangers

Back
Top Bottom