House Goose Thread

Ya, it's not always pretty getting the thing on. Hubby left early this morning on a business trip. I'm going to try getting it on her myself then post the video. Wish me luck!!!

I leave for a few days and come back to find a new addition to our little BYC family. Welcome, Giddy Goose!
big_smile.png

Maybe you know the answers to these questions I have pondered ever since getting our goose.

Are they self aware? When Jupiter sees a mirror, will she always think she's looking at another goose or will she realize she is looking at her own reflection?
When I call her name, (provided she isn't being defiant), she looks up and comes to me. She responds to her name, but does she understand that she is Jupiter? Does she understand the concept of names?

I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of your African. The bond we forge with our goose companions is beyond anything I've experienced with another animal. I dread the day her life force leaves her body. I hope that day isn't for a very long time to come. I always thought of all the geese, embdens are the most physically beautiful. Such regal birds with personality to boot!
I'm not certain with geese, but parrots are only "somewhat" self aware, and they're generally seen as a fairly intelligent avian species. I do already see in Cas though, that he knows his name and comes running when it's called. We've tested this theory by using like sounding words or the same voice tone we use to call him, and he definitely knew the difference. I think for them it's comparable to a puppy.

A puppy learns certain "words" and it's name because it is generally praised or rewarded for responding to it, and done repetitively I'm fairly confident a goose would learn the same way. Whether they are actually self aware or not though, brings about things like "sentience", and just who or what qualifies as a "sentient being". Does a dog looking in a mirror know it's him, or does he think it's another dog? When I hold Biscuit up to a mirror, she doesn't call the image before her "Biscuit", she always says "Pretty baby" just as though I showed her another bird.

A very young human reacts the same way. It's not until around the age of 4 that humans will recognize that the image is them, and they become "self aware". I've participated in psychological experiments were a 2 year old was placed in front of a mirror, and while watching, a dab of finger paint was put on her nose. She touched the paint of the reflection when asked to help remove it. The 4 year old under the same circumstance first touched the reflection, and then her own nose while looking at the reflection and was able to wipe the paint off. It's really quite amazing.

I would tend to think that geese raised as a pet can be TAUGHT certain things, like other pets. But what they really know and understand will always remain somewhat of a mystery. They can experience human emotions like sadness, grief, depression, happiness and joy. But they are still primal beings (compared to humans) and do things based on instinct (animals) more than desire (humans). But, I'm no expert, and no one has yet developed the tech to really learn what a critter is thinking, so until they do, I guess we're kinda clueless!

I'm not certain with geese, but parrots are only "somewhat" self aware, and they're generally seen as a fairly intelligent avian species. I do already see in Cas though, that he knows his name and comes running when it's called. We've tested this theory by using like sounding words or the same voice tone we use to call him, and he definitely knew the difference. I think for them it's comparable to a puppy.

A puppy learns certain "words" and it's name because it is generally praised or rewarded for responding to it, and done repetitively I'm fairly confident a goose would learn the same way. Whether they are actually self aware or not though, brings about things like "sentience", and just who or what qualifies as a "sentient being". Does a dog looking in a mirror know it's him, or does he think it's another dog? When I hold Biscuit up to a mirror, she doesn't call the image before her "Biscuit", she always says "Pretty baby" just as though I showed her another bird.

A very young human reacts the same way. It's not until around the age of 4 that humans will recognize that the image is them, and they become "self aware". I've participated in psychological experiments were a 2 year old was placed in front of a mirror, and while watching, a dab of finger paint was put on her nose. She touched the paint of the reflection when asked to help remove it. The 4 year old under the same circumstance first touched the reflection, and then her own nose while looking at the reflection and was able to wipe the paint off. It's really quite amazing. 

I would tend to think that geese raised as a pet can be TAUGHT certain things, like other pets. But what they really know and understand will always remain somewhat of a mystery. They can experience human emotions like sadness, grief, depression, happiness and joy. But they are still primal beings (compared to humans) and do things based on instinct (animals) more than desire (humans). But, I'm no expert, and no one has yet developed the tech to really learn what a critter is thinking, so until they do, I guess we're kinda clueless! 

I think geese can certainly learn their names, Pear did. But I do not think they are self aware. Like when you put a mirror in with them they think it's another goose for company. Once Pear attacked her reflection in a glass door.

Very well said EvenLater :) Exactly what I was thinking, it's hard to tell unless we actually knew what they were thinking.

Our Umbrella will puff up and screech at her reflection, as if it were another bird.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a house goose announcement ;)

Ok, here is part 2 of that product review. It's not really a review, just me putting it on her. I meant to talk about the features of the harness as she was walking around in it, but she wasn't having any of that. Now I need a nap, lol

0.jpg

Thanks for the video Sky! She seemed to sit pretty nice for that. How many times has she worn it now? In your opinion, Party Fowl is better than the others? Does she pull at it at all? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm right behind you! Lol

(Stalker! Aaaahh! JK LOL)

Thanks for the video Sky! She seemed to sit pretty nice for that. How many times has she worn it now? In your opinion, Party Fowl is better than the others? Does she pull at it at all? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm right behind you! Lol

(Stalker! Aaaahh! JK LOL)
You are most welcome :)

She did alright that time. The hardest part is getting the loop over her head. I take time to console and empathize (I know how you feel. There are lots of things in life Momma doesn't want to do either, but I have to). I am patient, yet firm (It's ok, baby girl. Let's calm down; I love you so much. Ok, let's try again now). She's worn it every day since she was 4 weeks. She wears it consistently once a day. We've had her wearing it twice a day a handful of times. She's worn it 3 times in the same day just twice.

Glad you asked the question about recommending Party Fowl over other products. That I cannot do as Party Fowl is the only harness I have used. I chose Nettie due to the rave reviews and praise from BYC members. I considered other makers, but found a mix of positive and negative reviews about the effectiveness of their harnesses. I'm so impressed with Party Fowl that I don't want to buy from anyone else. I know this works. Momma is happy.

She nibbles on the decorative snaps on the head loop. She doesn't yank or jerk on it (thank goodness) and loses interest after a few minutes of wearing it. When it starts getting full, she'll come stand by me and complain.

Ask anything that comes to mind. I know I will! :)

Hey fellow House Goosers...Do any of your babies have an unusual obsession? Like, no matter how many times you try a different approach to something, they always act the same way, but only with one particular thing? If that doesn't make sense, here's my example with Cas, and his crazy obsession with toilet paper!

I (like most of us I'm sure) use toilet paper or paper towel to clean up any more solid messes he makes. But...well...Cas HATES toilet paper. Like, not a normal hate either. Like a "IT MUST DIE RIGHT NOW" kind of hate. He will attack it and try to eat it, meanwhile the poop I was trying to clean up is forgotten while I chase down my goose pulling the paper from his mouth, and he screams bloody murder! At first, it was paper towel with a fun brightly colored print, so I'd thought maybe that was attracting him and switched to just plain old toilet paper, but nope. It all must die! He will literally run full speed from across the room to attack the foul beast that is paper! Death to paper!

I have my own question. I heard dandelion greens were bad if eaten frequently. Well, Angel has decided he wants nothing but dandelion greens when he's let out to graze and goes around picking them from the yard rather than eating grass. Is this a problem I should try to stop or will he be fine?

As for EvenLater: Not so much of an obsession as running clear across the room, but when Angel was little he did try to eat toilet paper and dryer lint. I still have to watch him around those things, because he will shred the paper or fling the dryer lint everwhere if I'm not looking.

Ok, so I finally got around to uploading all my photos, so incoming pic spam! :) For the record, we no longer have the duck.

"MOOOOOOOOOOM!"

"What's in the bag, mom?"

"You said what about me?"

And these these photos are the ones of our African, who's flying over the rainbow bridge. I wish I had more. :(

Last edited:
Gorgeous birds. Look how happy and spoiled! I just LOVE that one little black spot on the white one! And your African...what a sweet goose. I'm sorry she's gone, but she'll be waiting to cross that Bridge with you some day.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom