House Goose Thread

EvenLater, I don't think there's anything to worry about. My boy constantly lifts and adjust his wings around when he's drying off, I suspect he's airing out under there. If the wing starts to jut out away from the body, though, then you may want to wrap it to the body, as that's most likely angel wing.

Skyfire, we really wanted to wait until their DNA tests came back a little later, to be sure, but it's proving hard to not name them! I'm feeling confident we got a pair, though. One is more boisterous and trouble making(suspect boy, also ever so slightly lighter colored than the other), and the other is quieter and laid back.

Been thinking about naming them either Loki and Sigyn or Crowley and Abaddon. I thought about Crowley and Rowena('cause, while she's whiny, I do really like her), but since these are pairs, that'd be a little awkward. I know Crowley hated Abaddon, and vice versa, but I couldn't see Crowley and Lilith, Ruby, or Meg.

Just a thought after looking at those pics, and because I'm such a worried Goosey Mama! When he's really relaxed, his wings droop a little. He can fold them back up just fine, and flaps and stretches them all the time. When he sleeps, he pulls them up and tucks his head back. But when he's just "chillin" (like when we're outside) often he'll just let them droop. Is that normal?
hu.gif
Getting those blood feathers started and they are heavy, takes time to build muscle to hold them in proper position but he will. He sure is a cutie

Giddy... How about Crowley and Dean! Lol Even though though don't admit it they're nearly friends Lol! I have someone working on a trench coat for Cas and i can't wait! If you're not totally hooked on using Crowley as a name that might open more name options! Like... Gabriel and Abbadon or Dean and Sam... Lol

Good to know Cas's wings are OK. He's growing like a weed even he can't keep up!!

I'm kinda hooked on Crowley 'cause I love him soooo much and this lil' fella is suuuch a trouble maker. xP If the other is a girl I really couldn't see myself giving her a boy's name, but that's just me.. otherwise I'd say Crowley and Cas 'cause of that whole ordeal with the souls!

I remember when Jupiter had itty bitty chicken wings like Cas. This is the first time I've had in a while to peruse the board. I'm marveling at the size difference of Cas and his duck pal.

Jupiter is 7 weeks old today. My baby is nearly grown up. She is so tame now. Independent, yet affectionate. She will cuddle us on her terms. I'm good with that :)

Awww, she's adorable! Love the tub picture where she's mid-ubupbuping, as we say. We call it that 'cause it's not so much of a honk, more of chattering.

------------------------------------

So, is it just a goose thing to chew hair? Angel is really bad about it and it really hurts, at times. Our goslings have also taken to obsessive hair chewing. Is there a way to get them to stop?

Also, I've always wondered, is it safe for them to lay on their backs? Matilda did it all the time but I always found myself wondering if that was ok... kinda like how horses shouldn't lay down(for long), I guess is what I'm worrying about. The one we think is a boy kinda dozes on his back, like Matilda, while the other freaks out, like Angel.

Last edited:
@GiddyGoose : I think Crowley and Abbadon would be a perfect set of names!
big_smile.png
I actually had to do my own "research" and guess what I found? You might like this! ALL the angel and demon names they use...are REAL as far as history goes! They repurpose them of course for the show, but the names are all really there in 'history' of both, which I found pretty cool. I also found that the name "Cas" will work for a boy of a girl, because as the folklore goes, there were actually TWO variations, a male and a female: Castiel and Cassiel. I even found out the entire meanings and such!

Cassiel. Latin name of a female depicted archangel in post-biblical Judeo-Christian religion, is known for simply watching the events of the cosmos unfold with little interference. She is often included in lists as being one of the seven archangels and often associated with the Seventh Heaven. Also referred to as the Angel of Saturday.

Castiel, Literally meaning "My cover is God" or "Shield of God" in Theophory in the Bible. Also referred to as the Angel of Temperance, Castiel is one of the princes of the order of Powers. He is one of the rulers of the planet, Saturn, and associated with Thursday. He is also known as the angel of solitude and tears.

And for your names, here's what I found. You might find this interesting:

Abaddon - fallen angel whose name literally means "to destroy."

Crowley - derived from the Latin Crocell : The Grand Duke who appears as a fallen angel, and governs 48 legions. In some references he tried to over take Hell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Skyfire : WOW! Look at Juppy! Holy crap! She's not a baby anymore! I have been wondering where ya been hiding but my goodness I can see you have your hands FULL! I've been continuously trying to gauge Cas's age based on her, so if she's 7 weeks old and you got her on the 1rst of April, and I got Cas on the 25th...that makes him 4 weeks old, right? He's feathering fast now, and seems to be doing do faster than some other goslings I've seen here, UNTIL I compare him to Jup, and other "house geese".

I've seen some goslings here nearly 6 weeks and barely starting to feather. I can't really figure it out, but I've come to my own conclusion that maybe it's the "couch potato" raising? LOL
lau.gif
He's still primarily on his feed, though he gets outside for at least an hour every day, and I also make him a salad before bed every night. He absolutely LOVES fresh peas! OMG and meal worms...OMG those are like goose crack or something! LOL
lol.png

He's learning his manners, though I compare him now to a young puppy. Everything needs to be nibbled and tested, and a finger shook at him might be naughtily nipped at! He's learned to stay on his sheets I lay out and won't venture off them even if I leave the room, though he'll call to me when I do. His diaper almost fits and I can't wait because he's now got a bit more control (which is great) but when he goes WATCH OUT! My kid missed by mere centimeters the fire hose of DOOM that shot nearly 4 feet across the room after he'd held it in for about 40 minutes! The look on their face was so precious as they carefully aimed that deadly part away from their face, they looked as though their life had just flashed before their eyes! LOL I laughed for 20 minutes solid over that which I guess Cas also thought was funny because he joined me with his ever growing louder Hooonk hoonk peep peep HOOOOONK peep and almost sounded as though he were laughing too! Priceless!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@GiddyGoose : Hair nibbling...Aaah the joys...NOT! I'm right there with ya! Cas has never nipped at a face. I think maybe to some degree they realize it's a face? BUT...hair on the other hand, well that's great fun! I have gotten into a pattern of tieing mine back before playing with him and that seems to help. There's not a lot of info around on how to gently train a house pet goose, so I've just been using my puppy training skills and they work....to a degree.

When he nips skin, I gently grab but hold onto his bill after a sharp OUCH! (Even if it didn't really hurt, I'll over dramatize it) When he pulls on carpet, cords, or hair I do the same only with a loud NO BITE! He doesn't enjoy his bill restrained (just like a puppy doesn't care for its muzzle held) but it does seem to correct his behavior, even if only for a short time.

Also, he knows when I mean business by how I use his name, much like a toddler would. "Cas" means everything's OK but when Mama yells "CASTIEL" he will stop whatever he's doing and walk over to me with his head down, and finds a spot near me and lays right down! Lol It's like when our mom's would use our middle name, we knew we were in trouble and best stop! I am seeing such intelligence in him. He knows the edges of his sheet from the floor, and while he will push that boundary, he won't pass it unless I call him off it, so I'm certain they can see color (his sheet is blue and our carpet is grey) differences and might even be able to tell a texture difference. When he gets "nibbly" I tell him to go play with his toys, and he will go beat up his stuffies. Since the day he came home, I've been using correction and redirection with him (like you would with a puppy) and it's been working great. The only thing he still does that I'm having trouble breaking is the hair thing.

My thinking is that is looks 'worm' like to him? So, for now when he goes after my hair I take it back from him, tell him NO! and turn my back on him. He wants my undivided attention, so this works because I'm ignoring him for a moment, and he doesn't like that at all. After a few tries with the same result, he generally gives up thinking my hair is a fun new toy and will go play with his own toys. Then I reward him. He's learning but it's a SLOW process. Keep at it and be consistent! I'm learning every day that they can be taught!

Back
Top Bottom