House Goose Thread

I really didn't want to be mean or rude, but geese need companions. The only way I think you could give her some relief is to give her a stuffed animal or a mirror...

I saw your other post, I actually commented telling you how much work it would be and you said you could do it. I know it's hard to even consider putting down an animal, but twenty years of only three hour a day attention is heart breaking.

Please please don't take this personally. I think you're an AMAZING and strong woman to try and take on this young goose. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest.

I can't imagine leaving my two even with each other for an entire work day. The most I've ever left them alone at the house is two hours and I felt sick about it. If I find anything or come up with anything that could keep her busy I will... But for now, consider looking VERY hard for a new owner or putting her down. I'm sure Even, Sky, or I would take her if you lived near us. Where do you live?
I know you didn't mean any harm, you are just looking out for the goose and that's what I am trying to do as well.
smile.png
It does break my heart to leave her everyday and when I come home all I want to do is be with her. My husband initially was giving her more attention but as she became more fussy, he stopped helping as much. I am fully committed to her, but my husband is wavering and I don't have much control over that. I am the one that decided to bring her in.

I am in Canada, not many people around here have geese and if they do, they don't take in a disabled one. I have asked I think 100 people already in my area! I even looked to see if a vet would euthanise her and no one was even willing to treat a goose within at least 3 hours of where I live. So my options at this point are to keep her and try to fulfill her needs with the time I have, or have someone I know come and break her neck.
sad.png
If you do think the most humane solution is to put her down, I will find the strength to call that person and go through with it, no matter how hard it is. I just want her to live (or die) with the dignity she deserves. Thank you so much for your input.

Also I do appreciate that you gave it to me straight if that makes sense. I sometimes get blinded by my compassion for humans and animals, it is my line of work, but if I am actually hurting her by keeping her alive, and it is better that she goes to heaven, I'd rather know that. She is developing beautifully into her adult form and I think that makes it hard to consider putting her down. I was hoping she could see her adult wings and feathers. :)

Also I do appreciate that you gave it to me straight if that makes sense. I sometimes get blinded by my compassion for humans and animals, it is my line of work, but if I am actually hurting her by keeping her alive, and it is better that she goes to heaven, I'd rather know that. She is developing beautifully into her adult form and I think that makes it hard to consider putting her down. I was hoping she could see her adult wings and feathers. :)

I'm only seventeen, six years ago I started fostering dogs and I took in every single dog that needed help. It was ridiculous. I went to a trainer and learned under her, but she is a no bull sh!t kinda woman and told me I couldn't save every dog. Now I've applied that to my own life and I thank her every day for setting me straight. We all need a dose of reality sometimes. I was EXTREMELY hard on Even when she started here.

For now, give that goose the best life possible. Take her to the lake if she is a strong swimmer, let her swim in her natural environment, buy her fresh greens from the store and give her a buffet, let her grow her feathers, let her sleep in your bed, and when you think you are ready, you can make the decision.

You could also try and find a wild life sanctuary or rehabilitaror near you.

And if you did put her down, don't break her neck, my cat broke one of my goslings neck and he was still alive, the vet did an x Ray and it was broken. We had to have him put down.

I'm only seventeen, six years ago I started fostering dogs and I took in every single dog that needed help. It was ridiculous. I went to a trainer and learned under her, but she is a no bull sh!t kinda woman and told me I couldn't save every dog. Now I've applied that to my own life and I thank her every day for setting me straight. We all need a dose of reality sometimes. I was EXTREMELY hard on Even when she started here.

For now, give that goose the best life possible. Take her to the lake if she is a strong swimmer, let her swim in her natural environment, buy her fresh greens from the store and give her a buffet, let her grow her feathers, let her sleep in your bed, and when you think you are ready, you can make the decision.

You could also try and find a wild life sanctuary or rehabilitaror near you.

And if you did put her down, don't break her neck, my cat broke one of my goslings neck and he was still alive, the vet did an x Ray and it was broken. We had to have him put down.
Wow you were fostering dogs when you were 11?? That is amazing either way!
I will definitely give her all that I can and then my husband and I will need to make a decision.
Maybe since you know so much, if the time comes, you could let me know the most humane way to put her down at home.

Wow you were fostering dogs when you were 11?? That is amazing either way!
I will definitely give her all that I can and then my husband and I will need to make a decision.
Maybe since you know so much, if the time comes, you could let me know the most humane way to put her down at home.

I emailed a rescue organization without telling my mom and they showed up with eight puppies LOL.

That sounds fine. I wish you all the luck in the world with her. PLEASE keep coming into the house goose thread, we love pictures and updates!

Last edited:
I wonder why a vet would not put down a goose if it came to that, much more humane. it is very hard to kill a goose by trying to break their necks. Putting a goose down would be no different than a dog or cat in my opinion .

I hope somethingcvan be worked out for her she sounds precious and your caring for her is wonderful.
hugs.gif

I would suggest a mirror large enough she can see herself, it is better than not having a buddy .

Whoa. That's a lot to catch up on from one day. Where should I start...

Ok, first...BREATHE. Carr, listen...love ya kiddo but I'm gonna be straight here too, since we are all here for the critters and to learn. While yes, you have accomplished much in your young life, you must also keep in mind that you are YOUNG. You've only been around 17 years so you are still learning too. I personally have had animals for nearly (hate to admit this but...) twice that long and have learned a bit more in that time.

I took in a tripod dog that would have been killed, a puppy with parvo that I paid a pretty penny to save, a kitten with brain trauma who couldn't walk straight, a goat kid who was the result of severe inbreeding and had several handicaps but lived a full life, and currently have a parrot that was dumped in our trash filled with worms, mites, open sores, and cost me over $900 to save but she's lived happily with me for 11 years now. While taking on a "special" critter IS more work, they are well known for giving more love back in return than any other critters I've ever known, and FOR SOME PEOPLE this makes it all worth it. And then there are those of us that are just born to help these critters, it's in our blood, our very make up. The ones who brought home every stray, or downed baby bird, or bat with torn wings as children, and we grow into adults with so much love to give it spills from our hearts and we feel COMPELLED to help these poor souls have at the very least some kind of life, because we feel it's the least, as human beings, that we can do. I am one of these people, and I'm quite vocal about my views.

Now....Littlegosling...only YOU can answer this because only YOU know, but right now, this moment, I want you to ask yourself this question. "Can you commit to this critter, for the ENTIRETY of it's life, and do everything you can to give it the best possible?" If the answer is no or you're not sure, then yes, perhaps the best for her is to give her away or take her to a vet and have her euthanized. If the answer is Yes, then you need to fully commit to that answer and believe that you are doing everything you can, educate yourself on working with handicap animals, and don't waiver your mind. Do not let the opinions of others change yours. (Sorry if that sounds harsh to anyone, mean no offence)

When I first posted about Cas, my SINGLE indoor HOUSE goose, I got a lot of guff about him "needing" a companion, and how I'd be making him suffer by keeping him alone and indoors. Well, I looked at Cas, and he looked at me, and I'm happy to report that as of now he is just perfectly happy being an only goose. BUT...I have done things to help him not be lonely, and you should consider some of these as well if you're going to keep her, and if you're going to keep her in the house. Having geese outdoors is one thing. Having one in your home is a complete other!

Here are some things you can do that might help her not feel lonely while you are at work.

*TOYS. I can not stress enough how much indoor goslings NEED toys. They're like puppies, but smarter! They need things to entertain them and keep their minds sharp. Bird toys, dog toys and even human infant toys are all great fun and keep them busy!

*MIRRORS. As already stated, perhaps she'd enjoy staring at herself? Cas never really took to mirrors, so we tried another route for him, and found something else he truly enjoys..

*TV or RADIO. Yes, it may seem cliche but your gosling is very much a toddler, and will enjoy colorful cartoons and nature shows just as much as a child does! Don't believe me? Here's Cas in his "play pen" watching Finding Nemo for the million and third time, on yes, his very own personal TV, because it's his favorite! Lol

*More time with you or hubby. Someone already suggested maybe hubby can bring her into where he's working, so she can see him? He wouldn't need to really do much, but just seeing him near her would comfort (and quiet) her down. You have to realize an imprinted gosling sees you as it's parents, and goslings stay in sight of their parents for a LONG time. So when she can't see you, she gets scared and will call out because she's "lost her flock".

Eventually she will learn to occupy herself when you're away, if you give her things to do to help. A gosling sitting alone in a box with no toys and no interaction is bound to be a LOUD gosling. Give her one or the other (when you can't offer both at the same time) and I promise you she'll quiet down. I work as well, and Cas misses me while I'm away. He gets to see everyone else in the house while I'm gone because he's in the main area of the house. He also has TONS of toys of all kinds, gets random treats as a surprise from other family members, and can even watch movies at his request (wanna know just how smart they are? Cas learned how to turn on his TV, by HIMSELF and whenever HE wants it on! It's touch activated!) and the ONLY time he's loud is when I get home and he hears me, he greets me loudly from across the house to tell me all about his day! I talk to him and he quiets down again. When I am home and he's diapered, he is out about the house. He's got his house and play pen for when I'm at work so that he's not under hubby's feet all night, but its an open design in the center of our house so he can see and hear everything going on and someone is always only a few feet away so he doesn't feel alone.

Long rant short, you must do some soul searching. A goose well cared for can live upwards of 15 years. That's a long commitment, very much like a puppy, kitten or even a child. If you can and WANT to commit to that, then DO IT. Don't let ANYONE sway your mind, do your very best, give her all you can and MAKE it work. Make adjustments as needed, set a routine, and stick to it. If you can't or don't want to take that on, then NOW is the time to make that choice and do whatever is best for HER, and do it NOW. Your attachment (and her's) will only grow stronger each day, so don't put it off. Make a choice and stick with that choice. Only YOU can do that.

We're here for you either way, and wish you both the best. Please keep us all updated.

Much love,

Even and Cas

(watching videos of baby geese)

Last edited:
Wow. I don't know if my introduction made it through to this "channel" or not, but I just read through 26 pages of the house goose thread. Now might not be the best time to dip my toes in the water, but here I am anyway. My name is Becca, and I'm originally from the Black Hills of South Dakota. I have lived in the high desert of Central Oregon for the 22 years, but in my heart, the little 14 acre farm I grew up on will always be my home. As a teenager, I raised flock geese that would come flying from up to a quarter mile away to come home. I was also lucky enough to raise a baby Canadian goose that was found lame and abandoned in the wild. Now, as a retired teacher and a gramma, if I had read this thread or done any research before hand, I would not have Larry Dwain and Bull Goose Loony. They are American buffs, 7weeks and 2 days old, and they have twined their strings of love around my heart. So "Howdy" to all you fellow goose lovers. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Back
Top Bottom