House wren moved into the enclosure near my coop. Let her stay?

Quack Shack

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Winston-Salem
A house wren has been zinging around my 2 coops and I finally found out why. She's building a nest in the wire up in one corner. My sebrights and OEGs have been roosting through the summer months on top of the coops. They don't seem to mind her because she's quiet at night. Here's my question, should I let her stay? I don't feed or encourage wild birds near my home because in the past they were kitty snacks but now I'm concerned about my flock. Should I be? Will she possibly bring in nasty bugs I don't want my girls to get? She hasn't laid any eggs in so if I'm going to discourage her, I need to do it soon.

I don't know the answer about letting her "stay", but personally, I would, I think thats just so sweet. Well, I love birds, and I guess thats why I feel she'd have a home with my "girls". Keep us posted.

The wild birds in my yard play an important role in predator alerts! I have robins, sparrows and grackles, as well as a big old grouchy squirrel that all join together to sound the alarm if there is a predator around. One afternoon I heard my Girls carrying on down in their pen and when I went down to investigate, I saw a robin, a grackle and a sparrow all sitting within five feet of each other in the tree above the run. I could hear, but not see the squirrel. They were all making an awful racket and had the Girls all worked up. We have hawks that regularly scope out our neighborhood, and I believe one had landed in the trees nearby. Those critters all carried on for a good five minutes before they settled down and went about their business. It was a very strange experience, but reassuring to know that there are all those little eyes out there watching out for the "bad guys" and ready to sound the alarm!
One of my hens loves to chase the male robin that lives in our yard, and he treats it like a game. He actually swoops in front of her before he lands in the grass, to make sure she notices him. I would think it would be kind of tough to "shoo" a bird away and expect it not to come back if it has found a good nesting spot. Personally, I'll take the risk of possible germs and such from the wild birds if it means they will keep an eye out for predators.

Ironic you mention hawks because we do have a nesting pair in our vicinity. They snagged one of my ducks so we erected the motion-detector owl. I've noticed the wren never flies in the front where the owl is perched which is why I didn't notice her zipping in from the back of the coops. I've seen my little bantam roos chase away other birds so puzzling to note they don't mind this little wren. Maybe because she's smaller and presents no threat. I know I don't want her relocating to my guttering. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom