Houston Chicken Swap Meet, Lets Start One!

Is anyone planning on going to the La Grange Poultry Show in the 1st of September? I have Cream Legbars that I would love to "Swap". I will look into the sales area and see if I can reserve a table at the show if anyone is interested.
The show in La Grange is a County Fair. The fair does not allow sales or swaps per se. That doesn't mean that you can't make pre arrangements with someone. They just do not allow you to set up and sell birds.
Bob

Thanks! I started looking for information on this show this week, but didn't know that it didn't have a sales area and hadn't contacted the organizers to inquire yet.

I really don't like tending tables anyways so that works out just a good for me. I go to shows to network, meet people, and see their birds.

I guess the Cream Legbar offer is still valid if anyone wants to meet on the side. I know most people aren't getting chicks this time of year, but I have been hatching the Legbars since I just got it this year and want to see what my foundation birds produce and want to build up my flock right away.

Last edited:
What is the likelyhood that we can organize something at the various TSC's like some of the other states do? I'm game in trying to help and seeing what I can find out from the Alvin TSC location.

I went to a SWAP at a Local Feed Store in Albuquerque when I was on vacation a few weeks ago. The organizer told me that New Mexico doesn't require any health certificates, flock testing, or licenses to sell at public venues. Everything there was pretty laid back in that no one kept track of who was selling birds or what they were selling etc..

To sell in Texas your flock must be P/T tested to sell from your backyard and an addition license is required to sell in public places like a TSC SWAP, Flee Market, Poultry Show, etc. I just had the inspector for the license to sell in public venues come to my place and am working on my $35 application he left me to mailed to Austin to be processed and returned. :)

The inspector for the license to sell in public venues told me when he came by that I would have to keep a customer list of everyone that I sold to, what I sold, where I sold it, and when I sold it. The casual atmosphere of the New Mexico SWAP would not meet the Texas requirements. The Texas State requirements are not difficult to meet. The P/T test is done free of charge to the flock owner, and the 2nd inspector for the public sale license only records your GPS location and the size of your flock. A TSC SWAP should be fairly easy to set up, but it would not be open for every one to sell like in other states. The organizer would have to verify that anyone selling had a license to sell in public venues.

Last edited:
When the Texas Animal Health Commission started requiring permits to sell off premise 10 years ago it ****** a lot of people off and nobody was willing to get their permits.
Now a lot of people get their permits and while it will never be the way it was in the 80's and 90's with sales and Trade days everywhere, there are a few new Trade days. Mostly in the Houston area- Conroe and Arcola.

The Brazos Valley Poultry Club even started a new trade day in Giddings. Next year it will be on April 20th

I would LOVE to go to something like this!! Have Silkies, Blue and Splash Orpingtons, and Black Copper Marans! Don't really have any to sell except a beautiful Marans Roo, but I'd be interested in looking around and maybe buying some! Chickens are soooo addictive LOL.

Is anyone selling Easter Egg chickens, and bronze turkey hens? I am trying to help my mother in law locate these, she is in N. Houston area.Can you give me a phone number that I can pass on to her? Thank you,

Blue Star Ranch outside Bellville is a great source for many varieties and sizes of Chickens including Americanas. They are very helpful. Look on Craigs List under Farm and Garden, type in "chickens" and you will find their contact information listed with web site.

Back
Top Bottom