Houston we may have a problem!

steveo

Songster
12 Years
Dec 9, 2007
Poland, Maine
I have 24 cornish x that will be 8 weeks old on the 27th of this month. I called up the place that I am taking them to get butchered for less than $3 a bird. The first day they can get me in is June 5th! I have had multiple conversations with them and I was under the impression that I could bring them in any time. So that will make my birds 2 days over 9 weeks. Do you think they will start dropping like flies before then? this is my first batch of birds and I was going to pay to have them butchered and eventually ease into doing the deed myself.

I guess I will have to see what happens and if they get to big and start dieing, I will have to do the deed myself.

The extra week shouldn't matter too much, restrict their feed to ensure that you have no problems. I know that some people process around 10-12 weeks for bigger birds. I plan on doing mine around 9 weeks.

I had mine processed at 10 1/2 weeks, no problem whatsoever. I took the feed away at night the last few weeks though. They were all at great weight and delicious.
tongue2.gif

Cn any one "breed" broilers or have eggs. It seems like this is done by artificial insinimation (sp) Can any one breed broilers in the barnyard ??
frow.gif

I am glad to hear that keeping them for 9 weeks should not be a problem. I was removing the feed at night but noticed that once it gets dark the bids go to sleep and stop eating anyway. So I have not been removing the food for the past couple of nights. I may do an experiment and weigh their whole food container at night when they are sleeping and they weigh it again in the morning before the birds wake up. This will tell me if they are eating the food throughout the night. Obviously if the container weighs less in the morning, they are eating at night in the dark.

I was wondering about taking the food away at night also, mine are 3 weeks old and they seem to settle in at night and sleep so is it a waste of time to take the food away at night or not?

Quote:
The Cornish X is a cross between two different breeds. They are not produced by artificial insemination although you could. It just isn't necessary. The parent stock can breed naturally. The extraordinary performance is due to hybrid vigor. If you should get the Cornish X to breed, the offspring would not be like their parents.

Back
Top Bottom