Hovabator 1588 temp off? help!

ToshaMisner

Hatching
Mar 19, 2016
Port Vincent, La
Hey Y'all! I am new here. Although I've had chickens for a couple of years, this is my first go at incubation and hatching. I purchased a brand new Hovabator 1588, circulated air, with egg turner. I am set to receive some eggs I ordered today. So yesterday evening I fired up my incubator as a test run. I filled tray one with cool tap water as instructed. I also bought another digital themometer to place inside the incubator to compare with the one that comes istalled. One the themometer that is installed on the lid of my incubator it reads 100.0 degrees, 58% humidity, but on my themometer inside the incubator it is reading 101.2. I realize that ideal temp is 99.5-100.0. And humidity 45%-50%...I think? What should I do? Bump the temp down on my incubator? Add less water to tray 1 to bring humidity down? Buy a different themometer to compare? Any advice is so very much appreciated!

Thank you so much for your reply! I emptied my tray and figured I'd start over from there. Now humidity is 37% temp 100.0, and my themometer i placed in the incubator is reading 100.6. I am very tempted to try the dry incubation until lock down. How much water do you add at lock down?
I would highly recommend the low humidity incubation and monitoring the air cells to guide your adjustment. Here's more about it if you are interested: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity
I also run 30% for the first 17 days and 75% at hatch time.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Join us anytime on: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

Ive read that several folks had their 1588's reading low at the top of the eggs..One of ours does, the new one with the digital display..It reads 100.0° but its about 98.6° at the top of the eggs..We just bumped it up to about 100.8° and its right at 99.5° at the top of the eggs now..good incubator, holds temp very well we just had to adjust ours.

Unless the thermometer you put in the incubator is certified and has a low temp deviation. Like .1.

I would be inclined to use the incubator thermometer.

I have a brinsea spot check thermometer. In my 1588 I had to set it at 100.6 to get 99.5 at top of eggs.

Even at 101 it might be a little high but I personally wouldn't fret to much.

I prefer to dry incubate keep humidity at 20 to 30. Then raise to 75 for hatch.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you so much for your reply! I emptied my tray and figured I'd start over from there. Now humidity is 37% temp 100.0, and my themometer i placed in the incubator is reading 100.6. I am very tempted to try the dry incubation until lock down. How much water do you add at lock down?

I have a new 1588 this is my first hatch in it. with the preset temperature my 3 thermometers in the incubator were reading high. I've adjusted the temp on the lcd display down to 99.1 now all my thermometers read 100
I'm on day 14 so far all looks to be well but I will find out in a week.
I've kept the well #1 full of water

For lockdown I plan to fill #1 and #2 but I've notice that it says not to raise humidity above 65% on the control panel. If this something I should worry about?

I have a new 1588 this is my first hatch in it. with the preset temperature my 3 thermometers in the incubator were reading high. I've adjusted the temp on the lcd display down to 99.1 now all my thermometers read 100
I'm on day 14 so far all looks to be well but I will find out in a week.
I've kept the well #1 full of water

For lockdown I plan to fill #1 and #2 but I've notice that it says not to raise humidity above 65% on the control panel. If this something I should worry about?
Raising it 65%+ in the Hovabator digitals can throw off the thermostat and yyou may have to reset it.

Ive read that several folks had their 1588's reading low at the top of the eggs..One of ours does, the new one with the digital display..It reads 100.0° but its about 98.6° at the top of the eggs..We just bumped it up to about 100.8° and its right at 99.5° at the top of the eggs now..good incubator, holds temp very well we just had to adjust ours.
Still air or forced?

My 1588 was holding a steady 101.0 temp reading. It was preset to 100.0. I used two other thermometers to compare it to and they were agreeing the display thermometer was 1 degree lower then the actual temp. My incubator has circulated air. I just bumped the temp down to 99.5 and it's now holding a steady 100.0. What are yall's thoughts towards dry/low humidity incubation?

Back
Top Bottom