How about mash?

gentlemanfarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Northwestern PA
I was reading the thread below about when to start chicks on layer feed. Is mash the same thing? My local feed mill makes its own mash for 10$ per 100 lb. and right now I am feeding grower at $13 per 50lb.. My hens are 12 1/2 weeks old. 12 BOs and 12 Golden Comets. Should I keep them on grower till 18 weeks old, or can I switch to the mash. I am not sure what the mash is made from.

Mash is usually indicative of the consistency, not the recipe. Mash is ground, crumble is like pebble, and pellets are well, pellets.
smile.png

The mash they are talking about is most likely an all purpose poultry feed. That's fine if you supplement your birds diet with grit, oyster shell, and free ranging.

Last edited:
I feed mine locally made feed store mash and they love it way better than the prepackaged TSC kind of feed.

Ask your feed store what the protein content of their mash is. The kind I feed to everyone is 18%. For the older birds, I mix in a handful or two of oyster shell every morning. They also live in a large open pen and eat lots of greens and bugs, plus they get kitchen scraps.

You need to find out if the mash you are talking about is a layer mash. I think the birds are too young for layer mash, you don't even really need to give it to them until they start laying. Ten bucks for a hundred pounds is a pretty good price, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom