How are you preventing Avian Flu in your flock?

As for tools I would keep them in your garage, and make sure to disinfect them before use for cleaning out the coop.

As to how concerned you should be. If even one bird comes down with it you must cull all poultry on your property. It has a very high mortality rate, and can spread like wildfire.
- I would hate to cull all my birds, since I have rare breeds, and champion show birds.

You can pick it up from the feed store or even the grocery store on your feet which could infect your flock

I would get a bucket of water mixed with disinfectant soap and wash your feet in that every time you go into the coop. Keep that bucket next too the coop. Change the water every few days. Or you can have a pair of boots in the coop, and only use that pair in your coop.

Also keeping your run covered helps too. Preferably a solid top, but a mesh top may work too. Covered runs are best for keeping you birds safe.

If you add new birds in to your flock quarantine them for a minimum of a month. I know you said you were not going to do that but it is good to know for the future, just in case.
I personally quarantine for a month, then do a blood test on both flocks to ensure no disease transmission. I test for:
- Avian influenza
- coryza ( I think I spelled that wrong)
- Salmonella

To prevent wild bird coming in your yard don’t put bird suet or seeds out for them, also adding owl or hawk dummies around help

I show my poultry, and they need a clean blood test to be able to show. So I have bio security measures already in place.

PS - I am in south eastern Pennsylvania, so I too am worried about the outbreak of Avian influenza.

I am trying to respond to all the avian influenza threads to help people with bio security

Last edited:
If a flock does get it, what needs to happen before getting more chickens to put in that coop? I found a source (on the internet, so it must be true! Maybe, anyway), that says the virus can live 100 days. So, if I wait 100 days, is that good? I know commercial housing is disinfected but I doubt their methods would work well for a wooden coop.

I’m in California but am recovering my run just in case. I usually wait until summer due to heat. I feed wild birds but on the other side of the house well away from the coop. We live in a very rural area on top of a mountain and can’t really keep birds away unless I remove water and maybe seed but I doubt it. They eat mistletoe seeds on the oaks here. And caterpillars.

I am doing about the same thing. I am doing all the bio security advised in the USDA Defend the Flock program. But I would like to allow them a bit of free range time in our garden. They have been ndoors all winter! We have no waterfowl near us, and no cases n our state yet. Can anyone advise me on this?

I live in farm county. If they come for a flock, they will get them all. Me claiming they have a covered run won’t stop the euthanasia.
My girls live a lovely life with daily free ranging on my little farm. As someone said on here “great life and one bad day” is better for me than keeping mine contained. They don’t know total confinement and they wouldn’t be happy with it. As I’ve said, it won’t save them if the EPA or whatever govt agency comes for them.

:idunno

Back
Top Bottom