how bad of a problem can a cat be?

Depends on the cat I suppose. Never had an issue with the farm ferals attacking chicks or chickens while having plenty of chances to do so... but attacks have happened as per stories here by other members.

I have lots of house cats, stray cats and feral cats. Some I feed, some just show up. None mess with my chickens. Every new cat is interested for a bit, then give up.
I'd be cautious if I had chicks or little chickens.

Imp

always had "ditch tigers" around my old place, never had a problem with them nabbing (or trying to nab) our chickens. Oh I was worried at first, they would sit and watch, in perfect "stalking position", but thats all they ever did- watch. I liked having them around, kept the mice population to a dull roar. Guess that's what I got by having a house surrounded by woods, corn, and soybean fields.

I don't know if they might try and go after a bantam, but I would be very leery with new chicks for sure.

I keep trying to get a video.. one day I shall.. I have a Speckled Sussex that will chase my cat around the yard, pecking at his rear end. It's hilarious.
tongue.png
She can't really catch him but she sure does try!

I have also heard the stories of feral cats harming chickens, but we have tons around here and never had a problem. I had a kitten that tried chasing the chickens before we made him an indoor cat but they thought he was a nuisance and he had gangs of chickens chasing him.
tongue.png
I was really worried when I had broodies and chicks, but oddly enough my two barn cats never even bothered day old babies or the two bantams I have now.

YMMV, of course. I am sure a big hungry cat could do harm if he was really motivated, especially with little ones.

ETA: forgot, you should see my little white leghorns when I first let them out - they run straight to the cat food and shove any cats out of the way.
tongue.png
So now I feed the cats well before I let any chickens out or they won't get anything to eat!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
yep i agree, I have a cat who has been around my chickens, even when they are free ranging since he was a kitten, and then one day my tiny oegb hen was making a ruckus and came running by with the cat right behind her in full predator mode, if I hadnt been watering the ducks and had the hose handy...she would have been killed I'm sure of it, but I doubt a full grown hen would be in real trouble.

Last edited:
None of my cats or the strays or other cats who roam around here bother our birds. not the chicks either. I have all bantams in my flock and always have little chicks running with mama hens in the spring, cats don't even bat an eye at them. My late cat sasha (who was killed by a coyote probably trying to protect the birds) thought she was a chicken. I often found her in a nest in the coop laying on eggs! It all depends on the cat and like others have stated how hungry it is.

My cat is fine with the chickens -- but the strays who wonder into my yard -- like it's Cat Central -- aren't here for the floor show. My run is completely covered and at least one cat sits on the top waiting for her opportunity to find a gate left undone or a hole in the wire... a cat can easily kill a chicken... not quick or easy, but it would be an ugly fight and most of the time the cat would win.

Discourage the cat.

Jenny

I just keep letting the dog out
smile.png
He goes on the hunt now since he smells the cat had been in the yard. He got to see it out the window yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom