How big a hole can chicks get through?

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
Hi! I'm getting my brooder ready for some chicks I'm hatching. I'm using an old dog kennel, but the spaces between the bars are abut 1 1/4 inches. Newborn chicks could probably get through that, right? Should I line the bottom with cardboard or something? Also, will cardboard be a fire hazard? Thanks!

They may be able to for the first week or so of their life. Cardboard is fine, but you'll have to put something down over it like sand or dirt because chicks can very easily slip around on it and mess up their legs. And no, it won't be a fire hazard.

Most definetly can. I had one get out and get pecked to death!!! It was heart breaking.

I thought i had it covered..but they got through the bars and under the net...

They are a wk and half now and still can fit through them....

Current set up with the net...yesterday i pulled the net almost to the top bc (after the pic) we witnessed a cockerel try to fly up and out and ALMOST had it....

Ill remove it around 3wks i assume....

Attachments

• 20230531_083129.jpg
    20230531_083129.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 22
Currently...mine covers almost almost the entore heighth of the brooder....covering the second from top slates which is where the one almost got out yesterday...

Id start higher as long as its breathable fabric, or hardwire cloth. You can always adjust the fabric/net down

Eta... i also tuck the bottom of the net under the brooder cage and use landscape staples to secure it

Attachments

• 20230604_175349.jpg
    20230604_175349.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Hi! I'm getting my brooder ready for some chicks I'm hatching. I'm using an old dog kennel, but the spaces between the bars are abut 1 1/4 inches. Newborn chicks could probably get through that, right? Should I line the bottom with cardboard or something? Also, will cardboard be a fire hazard? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom