how big do jumbo coturnix REALLY get?

Farmerman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
i keep seeing VERY divergent reports on this. So I thought I would ask folks who have actually grown them......

Quote:
that is about right for average
smile.png

I don't even call them "jumbos" unless they reach the 10oz+ mark.

If your hatching eggs that say jumbo etc... be aware not all the chicks will be jumbo sized when full grown.

Okay so I am getting divergent answers here to. Is it simply different genetics of the same variety?

I don't know...but MAYBE it's like asking:

How big does a Rhode Island Red chicken get? (Bound to be variable.)

I had a Boxer dog (not fat) that weighed 90 lbs. Most are around 50-60 lbs.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

The Jumbo Browns, which I consider the largest of them all..can get 14 ounces. The standard pharaoh is about 8oz. Not all Jumbo eggs get you jumbo birds. A very variable bird. But you know you have a big bird if you can put a standard sized pharaoh next to it and it looks like a dwarf
smile.png
I took a few pics of the Jumbo white/texas A and M and the English white and some to compare the Jumbo Brown and Pharoah...must watermark them though before posting...

10-14 ounces sounds good to me.... Anyone with eggs to sell that are from larger birds feel free to PM me. now that I know I can order now, Im trying to get a few sources for them together. Im raising these for eggs, so I want the largest ones I can get. 8 ounce after you dress it must not be even a meal for one.

so whos got the biggest birds for me to buy eggs from!!! Now or spring.... I can make a list, I want to breed so Im going to add lots of new genetics. colors and such I dont care.

Jumbo is a size.
That being said many people who are new or don't realize that it is a size not a variety sell "jumbo brown coturnix" with out even knowing if their birds are jumbos or not.

A good breeder who has bred for size, and has jumbo's, then sells eggs will have a better ratio of jumbo sized birds hatching but even then some will not reach the jumbo size.

like a anything.. if "big" tall parents have babies most likely they will also be "big" tall but not always.

when I sell my birds I will also say something like "eggs from jumbo sized wild's" wilds being the coloring, with key word of jumbo brown.
but I never sell a bird as jumbo unless it reaches the weight of 10oz or more. But then that is just me....

If you want to breed for size I'd invest in a small box for the bird (like a small hamster transport cage?) and weigh the birds. Keep the largest and cull the rest. after aggressive breeding/culling you will get your jumbo size. But don't forget to add new blood or the size will max then drop no matter how you cull.

I don't breed for size, I do breed for colors then if I can size.
I love the Dark Ranges
big_smile.png

Quote:
honestly my big birds don't make bigger eggs then my standards. Most of my best egg layers are 8oz on average.
If you want eggs rather then meat I'd just get a few blood lines from layer lines rather then jumbo lines

bonus the 8oz birds are still piggies but they do eat less then 10-14oz birds
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom