How big of a run for 10-12 chickens?

I know! I was so afraid to use the mitre saw, and I put off starting a whole day while I read the manual, of all things, and psyched myself up. But it wasn't hard after all. And then I learned the circular saw!! Man, I think I could learn to use any power tool now! I told my husband I wanted a table saw for Christmas, lol. But it was out of our budget this year.

building projects are always a good excu......errrr, reason, yeah REASON.......... to need a new tool

In my coop build thread I had aart lusting after my metal shears to cut the hardware cloth with, LOL

I've got tons of tools and power tools, 10" sliding mitre saw, mini 7" pseudo table saw, router, sawzall, jigsaws, chainsaw, and have built tons of stuff over the past 30 years....

......but the hand held 7" circular saw.....
....always scared the crap out of me, only bought and started using one a few years ago.

It's great tool, still good to be scared of all of them tho, some more than others, makes ya be carefuler :D.

...and yes, chaz's power metal shears gave me serious tool envy.

Best way to learn is just try it....you go TxChick77...use deck screws instead of other fasteners whenever possible, easy to drive....
.......and take apart when something needs 're-doing'.

It looks awesome!! Great job!!
celebrate.gif

Oh, power metal shears! I should look that thread up...
here ya go:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/955919/future-coop-and-run

me too! Will they cut galvanized tin sheets too?
yes ma'am, that's actually what they are made for. I bought them a few years ago when we put a metal roof on our house after a hail storm. Man, they'll cut hardware cloth like electric scissors!

they work great on metal roofing sheets. Cutting long ways or straight across is a snap. Cutting at an angle across the ridges are a bit 'challenging' but can be done. I also used these to cut my roofing where needed, and the metal panels I used to enclose the end of my hoop run:

Last edited:
Ewwww....those look like fun. Where did you get them? They just attach to your drill?

yes ma'am, goes in the drill and clamp the bracket to hold in place by tightening a wingnut. I got them at the metal roofing dealer. I've used them more building chicken coops than I ever did when roofing the house

I know! I was so afraid to use the mitre saw, and I put off starting a whole day while I read the manual, of all things, and psyched myself up. But it wasn't hard after all. And then I learned the circular saw!! Man, I think I could learn to use any power tool now! I told my husband I wanted a table saw for Christmas, lol. But it was out of our budget this year.
A wife who wants a table saw for Christmas......he's a lucky man. Do you like to fish, too?
love.gif

@Finnie check out Harbor Freight. They have reasonably priced tools. not brand names, but if you're like me and use things like a table saw or what not, only for odd and end projects, their products will fit the bill. I got my 10" sliding table saw for like $90ish after their 25% off coupon last summer. I got tired of borrowing my dad's. It might not last me 20 years, but for the price, if I get 4-5 yrs, I'm good.

If you have a store nearby, you must GO! It's like a candy store.

Back
Top Bottom