How can I add on to this coop to include a space for the chicks?

Jewelschick

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Whitesboro, TX
My husband and I recently converted this barn into a coop. I currently have 2 hens and 4 12 week old pullets in it. I have 11 1 week old chicks in a outdoor brooder by the house. I would really like to move them into the barn/coop ASAP as it’s a lot more secure and bigger than their brooder but I’m struggling with how to do that. I read an article on here about adding 2 week old chicks to the coop as long as they have a hiding hole. Ideas on how to do this? And the less permanent the better as eventually I’ll want the whole space open for them. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9F9E28DE-EAB1-4FDD-819A-AD6C84453D88.jpeg
    9F9E28DE-EAB1-4FDD-819A-AD6C84453D88.jpeg
    765.8 KB · Views: 33
Put in a temporary brooder in the back of the coop under the window. When they are big enough to be with the others take the brooder down. Use 2x2 lumber and use chicken wire for the covering. Build it in to frame’s then screw them together for the brooder. When the are done using it unscrew the panels and save them for the next batch.
Mark
That makes sense. Thanks!

Put in a temporary brooder in the back of the coop under the window. When they are big enough to be with the others take the brooder down. Use 2x2 lumber and use chicken wire for the covering. Build it in to frame’s then screw them together for the brooder. When the are done using it unscrew the panels and save them for the next batch.
Mark
Mark,
Wouldn’t I need a top panel? So the other chickens don’t fly in there?

A 6' tall chain link panel with a walk through gate lined with chicken wire will keep them separate. No need for a cover. A 4' tall with gate will work but I would cover the top. Place it at an angle and one should be all you need.z

I do like Mark said...I lay an old door on top as a cover. Instead of using metal wire, I used the plastic "wire", and then I was able to cut "chick portals" into each side. I wrapped the cut edges with colorful duct tape for visibility (when the chicks are escaping a hen, they know exactly where they are running to instead of having to find a blended in hole). When I start integrating, I lock the big chickens out and open the chick portals and let them figure out how to get in/or of the portals. I do this for a couple hours a day for a couple days. After a few days, I open the portals while the big girls aren't locked out and integration starts more fully. At nighttime and when I start a new batch of chicks, I just sit bricks in front of the portals to keep them closed.

Back
Top Bottom