How can I build an easy place for my chickens to lay eggs in?

Quote:
Oh I like that one!!
big_smile.png

chicks076.jpg

I used rubbermaid boxes and cut out a hole leaving a lip, put the lid on and mounted them on the wall. Super cheap and easy to clean.

The best I have found is free "feed buckets" at the feeed store. The feed that cow food comes in a round 10/15/20 gallon buckets. I tried to build a wood shelf around it and it was a disaster... chickens laid eggs BEHIND the shelf..... so..

I removed the shelf and I have the feed bucket (one) just sitting on the ground and then I "squish" the other same size bucket into it so that that 3 sides are covered and only a small entrance in the front. This is a "bucket in a bucket" no mess and the chickens all JUMP IN to lay eggs. They cant eat the eggs either as I tilt the buckets back... when eggs are laid they roll to the back of the bucket!!!!
wee.gif

Quote:

Covered cat litter boxes, rubbermaid bins, 5 gallon buckets all work. I have an old picnic basket and also use an old nightstand (turned on the side, no drawer, piece of wood against to bottom so the shavings stay in). Use your imagination.....look around in the house, garage, shed etc......lots of things will provide a bit of shelter and privacy and can hold some nesting material....
smile.png

Last edited:
I took a piece of plywood, cut it in half, then used wedges to hang that from the wall of my hen stall about knee high, making a nice platform.

After that, I took used Tidy Cat kitty littler boxes (the 35 pound size), then attached a little ledge to hold the kitty litter boxes on the platform. If you wanted to, you could also nail in blocks to hold them in place better. This way I can just lift the buckets off the platform to dump them out to clean.

If you wanted to permanently hold them in place, you could nail or screw them into the wall, but I like being able to pick them up, dump them in the wheel barrow, and put them back in place.

Therese

I use a cruddy old 4-drawer dresser. I took out the 1st and 3rd drawers and filled the remaining two drawers with shavings. It looks odd, but they seem to like it, and it saved me from having to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom