How can I get her to stop pecking me?

Angelight

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
I got 3 golden comet pullets last week, knowing and seeing that they'd been pecked near to death by a few other GCs. They were very well cared for from what I could tell. I wanted GCs after reading about them and I felt best about buying these girls rather than from someone else. All 3 of them are scared to pieces. I try to make slow movements, talk softly, give treats often, etc. They need to get more time out of the large dog kennel I have them in. Working on it but my cockerel will tear them up if he sees them and he's listed on CL (can't have roosters in subdivisions) so I just have to keep trying to give them time out when I can get him in the coop without locking my hen from her nesting box. This one pullet pecks at me every single time my hand gets near her, though. Neither of the other two have pecked me. Just her. I haven't even had to doctor her butt! One of the girls wasn't very healed when I purchased them, and I have to spray and check her through out the day. You'd think she'd be the one upset! Any tips on how to get her to stop pecking? If not, I have to find her a new home. She can't stay if she's going to be pecking my kids. Our birds are pets and they have to be friendly or they won't help us convince the neighbors that chickens are worth having in the 'hood.

Have you tried hand feeding treats like dried meal worms?

I don't have anything quite so delicious available right now. : ( (Illnesses have been invading my family lately.) I have given apple, strawberries, meat, yogurt, and a tiny head of cabbage. They act as though they don't like any of it, didn't know what to do with the cabbage, won't take food from me no matter how yummy it looks. I get that they're scared and I expect to put some work into them over the next week or two in order to help them see that they're not in danger. This one is a concern, though. I also had a rabbit water bottle in their kennel so they'd stop spilling their water. After 2 days, they still didn't use it. Took the time to show them through pecking with my fingers. They saw the water come out of it and chased the droplets after a few minutes. If she doesn't stop pecking when my hand gets near her, once she's healed up, she's got to go.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom