How can I help my rooster?

Cheesay

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Hello, I came home today to find my rooster bloody and swollen. It's all head injuries from what I can tell. I don't know what happened. He was free ranging with some hens and another rooster. He was top rooster too. Other roo and hens don't have blood on them. I'm not sure what all I can do. I have him separated. The swollen area looks painful. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello, I came home today to find my rooster bloody and swollen. It's all head injuries from what I can tell. I don't know what happened. He was free ranging with some hens and another rooster. He was top rooster too. Other roo and hens don't have blood on them. I'm not sure what all I can do. I have him separated. The swollen area looks painful. Any thoughts?

Looks like another rooster beat the Crap out of him?

Separate him in a dim spot in a crate with food and water. Keep him quiet since he is probably in shock. You can give him aspirin 81mg orally or in some food or water twice a day for pain. He needs to heal up completely before being anywhere near the hens again, but either he or the other rooster need to go or be permanently separated. I probably wouldn't try putting anything on his comb or wattles, since they are very painful. Make sure that he is eating and drinking tomorrow. A bowl of feed with lots of water, some chopped egg or tuna, but especially water are important.

Thank you. I have been trying to find another home for the other rooster for a while now. They have gotten along fine, but the roster that was beat up started chasing the other rooster away from the hens a few months ago. Nothing worse than that. I'm shocked this roo was so beat up. He was always the more dominant one.

It is sad when they can't get along, but I have had this happen too. It can happen as the head rooster starts to go into a molt or is stressed, but the junior rooster may try it more than once. I keep my subordinate rooster in a separate field with a few hens.

Back
Top Bottom