How can I make a less messy duck waterer?

Picklepuss

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Connecticut
Because right now my little little lovelies are looking really devilish to me! I tried a container with a cover and holes cut out fo the side. Apparently, the first holes were too big because one duckling got in it. So, I made another with smaller holes (I used a hole drill bot) but they can still get in. An open container is MESSY.

Generally I wouldn't have a huge issue but we have had so much rain here that we don't have power in the garage so the duck cage is in the playroom and frankly I am tired of the little sea monkeys
wink.png

Lol..i hear ya!
I just set their waterer in a pan or tray with a lip... that way all the water they splashed out stayed IN the pan and didnt soak the shavings...

I'll try that. Seriously though - these things are naughty. We have 4 Indian Runners and the fawn and white one I swear is the devil. It does all of the naughty things and I think it's a bad influence on the others. It will be nice to get them in their house. Which leads to another post.

Here is a picture of a waterer with splash catcher I posted not so long ago.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3783817

It is entry #7.

Before that I used a two piece broiler pan with a washcloth on top for traction. That held first one, then two quart sized waterers.

I am now using a three gallon waterer, with a five inch deep rubber bucket that is half an inch wider in diameter than the bottom of the waterer. I elevate the waterer with clean overturned cat food cans to increase the holding capacity of the bucket.

Ducklings splash. It is their nature. They will only be small for several weeks.
wink.png

Quote:
good idea with the bowl! Did you set the waterer on top of the ricotta bowl?? what was the small white ricotta bowl for..

I've used a chicken waterer with a deep pan under it (almost same diameter) while my duck was tiny, and then had the whole thing on a cookie sheet. The cookie sheet would be a mess all the time, but it kept the rest of the cage clean. Well clean is a good word, their pooping is just as bad as their drinking/eating behavior. I did also provide a deep cake pan full for wood chips for her to sleep in. She loved it and it provided a constant dry area in case she made a real mess. Ducks really like to mix their food with water, so you will have to get used to it. I later used a dual water - food dish for dogs. That was when she was to big to take a bath in it.

Picture the ricotta tub with a few holes punched along near the top. Snap on the lid, turn it upside down. Place it in the bottom of the salad bowl. Place the waterer on top of the ricotta tub.

The reason for the holes in the tub are to allow water to flow into the tub, increasing the capacity of the whole setup.

Good idea about the pan with the shavings. Brooder II is large enough and the splash catcher works well enough that there is not much damp bedding to deal with, and there is always a relatively large relatively clean dry area for resting.

I have a battery brooder that I am also using a deep cookie sheet in the pan, under the floor grate where the waterer (or water nipple, depending on which deck) is. That way the paper gets a LOT less wet and I don't have to have every restaurant in town saving papers for me from the breakfast crowd! More ducklings in a brooder seem to incite the others to produce more mess...just two by themselves are managable, but they seem to be able to incite riots in there when there are many! I have Calls, which are less mess in every way...I can just imagine what you larger-breed folk must have to do!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom