How can I make my chickens scared of us?

magic - it took a looooong time to get her to stop chasing. The hose is mainly what did it, but she's only 4 pounds so eventually the hens got bigger than her. That helped too
smile.png

jennh - tried it! They will back up a little bit if you poke them with the broom, but then they just try to get around it to get to you. Fearless!

Quote:
Heres' MInnie Rose Lovgreen's advice. (1880"s) quote: " I had one too (rooster) that pecked at my legs, so I swatted him with a piece of board. He watches out for me now."

So get yourself a yard stick and give'em a swat when they come at you. They'll learn.. or you could walk around the yard with the stew pot and a wooden spoon calling "here chicky, chicky"
lau.gif

Happy chicken keeping (or get some Delawares, which is what you should have done in the first place IMO)

Rancher

Last edited:
It may also be because you only have 2- they see you as part of their flock as the 'head hen' who 'finds' the good food. Maybe they need more friends that look just like them (although I will reccommend Buff Orpingtons as well because they are just super sweet)

Quote:
Just where did you get this idea? Secondly Buff Orpingtons are to docile to put with RIR's, it's documented that they are usually to docile and easily picked on. Yes they are sweet but to passive for RIR's. The RIR breed especially hatchery birds are just not a family friendly bird and it seems to me that most folks only know one kind of chicken. They are just to common and folks will take whatever they can find. Many do no research into breeds before buying chickens. Yes there are exceptions just not many.

Wow Rancher Hicks, no need to get loud about it. Just offering a suggestion as it is common practice and knowledge that chickens are social and flock oriented creatures. Simple suggestions do not warrant snappy responses. That is all.

My BO is by far the pushiest of my flock - she even pecked me in the face once when I squatted down to feed her (that was many months ago and she has since calmed down, but she's definitely still boss of the flock). On the other hand, my RIR is a coward and is constantly running away from the rest of the others
idunno.gif
. My most mellow are my two EE's and my Gold Laced Wynandotte.

Quote:
Sorry , it's hard to get the right tone sometimes. I'm not real good at that. I just wondered is all. I know chickens are social but not sure what the reasoning is as to why this would make them aggressive. Sure my chickens follow me around and even get under foot when I'm using the power saw. They're not even afraid but they've never attacked me.

If something has upset them in the yard, the minute I come out they calm right down and go about their business. They feel safer when I'm in the yard or in sight.

Clearly they are attacking because they see the OP as a threat.

No ill will intended really
hugs.gif

Rancher

Yell "Boo!" really loud!

Seriously, I wouldn't chase any chicken in order to show I'm the boss. That just makes them more chary of you. And willing to chase YOU back. It breeds aggression.

I do a variety of I'm The Boss Of You tactics. For simple pecking, I peck back, using my forefinger and middle finger held together, with a quick snap against the side or back of the pushy chicken's head. Exactly where they peck on others. Maybe two pecks.

For roosters attempting to get over on me, I turn and walk deliberately towards the miscreant. No running. Just walking forward so it has to step backward. And I turn when it turns, so I'm always facing forward and it is being forced to walk backward. When that chicken turns away, presenting its back, I stop. No need to follow any longer/further, or chase it down.

For a really pushy rooster, I will back it up, PICK it up, and carry it around for a while. Then, when I put it down again, I press it into the ground as if I were mounting it. (Just pressure from my hands.)

It works really well for me.

Back
Top Bottom