How can I sleep?

Personally I would spray a gallon of chlorox all around to get rid of the odor. But that's just me.

Congratulations on predator proofing your pen! You are an inspiration to us all. Do you have them in a box at night now too?

Quote:
Yes, my husband spent a whole day altering our rabbit hutch to turn it into a safe coop. He did a great job, it was just a standard redwood hutch and he shortened the legs, reinforced the stance by building a box around the base, built an L shaped perch for the girls to sleep on, and two chicken sized nesting boxes. Everything is removable for easy cleaning.

So now we have the coop inside the chain link dog run, the run being re-inforced 3 feet up with tiny hardware cloth, so they can't stick their heads out to be eaten any more. The night before we secured the coop, I caught the raccoon ON TOP of the run, reaching through the chain link. He must have hit or scared one of the girls b/c her top beak was bleeding and since then it has been drying up and dying back. I think she'll survive if it doesn't get any worse, but just when I think it has healed, it dries up another two milimeters and falls off. Will it stop on it's own or will it keep drying up? Is there a cream for this?

Anyway, We lock the girls in the coop-within-a-coop at night, which is a chore to catch them and toss them in, but we haven't lost any more, even though the skunks or something keep digging into the run from the bottom. So our next project is to dig down a foot and add wire down into the ground. But until then, they are safe!!! Yay.

Also, about the smell, I bleached down the outsides of the coop and I spread coffee grounds all around it. The smell is almost gone, so one of the two must have worked!

Thanks Forum members for all of your help, and comfort, when I needed it!

Back
Top Bottom