How Can I Stop Predators From Harming My Poultry?

IvysAnimals

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
HELLO! The group of ducks that I have now are 3-1 years old. I've had some issues with predators coming around more than ever, of course. We've had the regular Cats, Fox's, Coyotes, Raccoons, Bald Eagle, Turkey Vultures, Crows, Rats, Mice, Possums, Deer, and as well as peoples dogs and I'm sure, more. We got a female and male wood duck from a breeder that would only sell in pairs and only 1 couple. Sadly, I had a Fox come into my duck pen one time and attack my only Female Wood duck, Violet, that I had left. My male was so scared and acted wild because the guy we got him from never handled them and only came in to give them food, so he flew away even though his wings were clipped. This made my whole family upset so we had to call a wildlife service to ask them how we can get rid of the fox. They told us that if the fox was in your pen, you can legally shoot and kill the fox or set a safe-non harm trap and relocate him more than 10 miles away. We did the Trap for about 2-3 weeks and he didn't want to get in, but he came in our pen again... My family was very upset because we really didn't want to kill or hurt him but that's our pets. Just like a dog, you don't want them to get hurt so you try to keep them safe. We also have a Bald Eagle come around and stalk our birds so we did try to get netting but it was so weak and expensive, we couldn't get that to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop predators, especially rats/mice, from coming and trying to harm our birds or eat their eggs? Our family really doesn't want to hurt any wildlife, we just want to protect our ducks and goose. We have a 40ft long and 10ft wide pen for them outside with a rubber pond, large food bowl, duck house, and the ducks we have in there. We can't put concrete under the fence and we can't put fencing under either. We had large bolder-like rocks on our property and some plywood we used to block them from getting in. The pond does over flow and cause some weak spots in the ground that are more likely going to be dug under from predators. The fence is like a regular dog fence so I don't want to lower it in the ground and have the ground protected but another issue with the fence being short and them just climbing over. I also have a neon orange net on the outside of the fence, that probably won't help much. What can I do? I've had 4 of my ducks be attacked out of the 30+ that I have/had. I don't want to see my babies get hurt and I don't want to hurt any...

DUCK BREEDS:

Cayuga - 4
Pekin - 7
Rouen - 4
Fawn Runner - 9
Blue Runner - 2
Blue Swede - 1
Magpie - 2
UNIDENTIFIED INCUBATOR BABIES - 3

Attachments

• 20210901_180131.jpg
    20210901_180131.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Unless you are unable to accept the expenses of a predator proof coop and run, you are going to have losses. Sure you can do things that are going to cost less, but also be less effective.
Trapping with a live trap (have-a-hart) is difficult for fox or coyotes. Coons, are easier, but they get educated easily. Even though it's legal in your area, trapping and relocating isn't fair to the animal or other families your dumping your problem critters near. If you trap, be willing to eliminate the critter.

Even though it's legal in your area, trapping and relocating isn't fair to the animal or other families your dumping your problem critters near. If you trap, be willing to eliminate the critter.

AMEN.

I consider it DEEPLY immoral (not to mention often outright illegal), to move a pest animal. Dumping your problem in someone else's lap is simply unacceptable. If you can't tolerate it then don't inflict it on someone else.

Unless you are unable to accept the expenses of a predator proof coop and run, you are going to have losses. Sure you can do things that are going to cost less, but also be less effective.
Trapping with a live trap (have-a-hart) is difficult for fox or coyotes. Coons, are easier, but they get educated easily. Even though it's legal in your area, trapping and relocating isn't fair to the animal or other families your dumping your problem critters near. If you trap, be willing to eliminate the critter.
I'm trying my best to do what I can LEGALLY do in my town. Even if It's not fair to the animal that's being trapped, It's better than being killed by someone or killing other people pets and animals. They told us to relocate them 10+ miles AWAY from other people, not in another town.

Pictures of your setup would be nice so we know what better to advise. Also, do you let your birds free range? You may have to stop that if you don't want to lose more.
No, I don't necessarily. They know where and where not to go. I don't have a fence around the pen, but I have arborvitaes trees around where they don't go through. I pen them up ( 40 ft long 10 ft wide pen) from 7:00 P.M to 11:00 A.M so they don't get hurt. I also have a lock that needs a key to open it on the door.

AMEN.

I consider it DEEPLY immoral (not to mention often outright illegal), to move a pest animal. Dumping your problem in someone else's lap is simply unacceptable. If you can't tolerate it then don't inflict it on someone else.
The WILDLIFE rehabilitation service told us to relocate them in a densely wooded area AWAY from People. 10+ miles away from the homes and your home. I go by what the Expert of 40+ years told me.

I'm trying my best to do what I can LEGALLY do in my town. Even if It's not fair to the animal that's being trapped, It's better than being killed by someone or killing other people pets and animals. They told us to relocate them 10+ miles AWAY from other people, not in another town.

If you don't own the land or have specific permission from the landowner it remains 100% immoral to dump a pest animal there.

If it's public land it's almost certainly also illegal.

Solve your own problems instead of passing them on to someone else.

I don't have a fence around the pen,

To be blunt -- because I don't need people dumping pests into the tree farm that backs on my property over the brow of a hill -- when you CHOOSE to not fence your property you CHOOSE to accept losses to predators.

Buy a fence, not a live-trap.

The WILDLIFE rehabilitation service told us to relocate them in a densely wooded area AWAY from People. 10+ miles away from the homes and your home. I go by what the Expert of 40+ years told me.

Did they provide you with a map of acceptable areas?

How were you planning to figure out where this "10 miles from any people" zone is?

If the land is not your personal property and you don't have specific permission from the owner it's still immoral. Dumping pest animals is no different from dumping garbage.

Back
Top Bottom