How can I tell if it's frozen?

I'm from Iowa as well and this information was exactly what I was looking for now that we are in the middle of an Arctic cold front. Thank you for the insight KareyABohr it was very helpful for this first year backyard chicken farmer.

I find a good way is to put it in your pocket because your hands are full and go inside. Then open the crawlspace access and lay on the floor to shine a flashlight down at the frozen water pipes. If you hear a crunch, you'll know it's not frozen.

At least that's how I did it this morning.

I think the eggs I collect in the late afternoon are partly frozen but it doesn't seem to affect their taste.

Wayne
lau.gif
clap.gif
gig.gif

I was wondering this because some birds managed to lay in a spot I haven't been able to reach because of ice. None of them were cracked, so I'm going to assume they are OK. Probably too late for the spin test as they've been inside for several hours now.

I read on another website that you should save those frozen eggs and scramble them up to feed back to your hens or to any other deserving animals. Great idea to just toss them in a plastic bag until it's time. Hate to waste anything as precious as an egg!

Back
Top Bottom