How can I waterproof a hinged external nest box lid on my copp?

Rich Marshall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
I am stumped...I want to be able to raise the lid of my external nesting boxes but cant work out how the hinge will be waterproof. HELP.!

I put the hinge right against the outside wall of the coop and then added a 1x4 awning that I had beveled over that. A little caulk and the rain runs off the awning onto the box lid about 4 inches away from the hinge and runs off. It may not be the best way to do it but I had the materials on hand and its been working for two years now.

If you know some one with a rubber lined pond, they may have some left overs. Pond lining can be cut to size with scissors. It can be purchased by the foot in pond supply stores. It comes in 4 ft thru 12 ft widths. Nice and flexable and lays flat. A 1 foot by 12 foot piece will make covers for a lot of nestbox hinge lines.
I last used a 2 1/2 foot long 4 inch wide piece over a 24 inch wide double nest box lid, I used a 2 inch by 30 inch scrap of T1-11 and screwed it to the coop wall just above the hinge line squeezing the top 1 inch of the rubber between the coop wall and the afore mentioned scrap, leaving the remaining 3 or so inches of rubber laying over the top of the nest box lid and hinges.

Make the nest box back wall fold down instead of a movable roof. If its already built,like the other posters said rubber is a good way to go. If there are any commercial flat roofers around your area they always have left overs from jobs and most times toss short rolls. They would be more than happy to give it to you that way they don't have to pay to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom