How can you hit a vein while assist hatching? Aren't veins inside of the chicks body?

Arber

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
I just assisted a hatching chick. First I hit the vein and I saw blood. I waited several hours and I continued successfully (I think). But I don't understand how you can hit a vain when veins are inside the body?

Even after a chick externally pips, it is still absorbing veins attached to the egg shell, and also absorbing its yolk. Any time a vein bleeds, one is assisting too early, and you made the correct choice to put the egg back into the incubator. What was the problem that caused you to need to assist?

I just assisted a hatching chick. First I hit the vein and I saw blood. I waited several hours and I continued successfully (I think). But I don't understand how you can hit a vain when veins are inside the body?
There are veins coating the inside of the egg as well. If you look inside a freshly hatched egg, you can still see some coating the interior

Even after a chick externally pips, it is still absorbing veins attached to the egg shell, and also absorbing its yolk. Any time a vein bleeds, one is assisting too early, and you made the correct choice to put the egg back into the incubator. What was the problem that caused you to need to assist?
I don't have an incubator but it was from the broody. I assisted because all other eggs hatched and I thought he was struggling. Firstly I broke just a little bit of the shell and I immediately saw blood. Than the broody fly and I broke unintentionally the egg shell. He stopped screaming and I thought he was dead. I waited several hours and surprisingly he was alive. I thought he can't hatch by himself or he was "glued" to the membrane and even if the shell is broken he is not going to make it. But maybe I made a mistake, he is very weak, I would be happy if he will survive.

Attachments

• 20230819_081236~2.jpg
    20230819_081236~2.jpg
    956.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom