How can you tell!?

you need to know well your hen . my hens are so good if they star laying eggs and i dont take them from the nest usually they go broody after they have layed 10 to 12 eggs and if i take the eggs from nest leaving just one every time she will keep laying eggs and not get broody at least i know my hens and almost all do that.
D.gif

She stays put. You go out the next day and she's still there and if you try to reach under her for the eggs she will get all fluffed up and defensive, maybe even peck at you. Next day, same thing and so on.

Yes they will go broody on unfertilized eggs or even on no eggs whatsoever. When they stay on the nest overnight, they are "solidly" broody and you can then give them some fertile eggs to hatch.

When she refuses to leave the nestbox and sounds like an escapee from Jurassic Park if you reach in and 'assist' her in leaving! It's one of those things where YOU WILL KNOW....
wink.png

Quote:
Okay wait, I'm confused here. I thought that all eggs with a broody hen had to have the same estimated hatch date. How can she lay 10 to 12 in one day??

Well, I think you already know that they do not lay 10 to 12 eggs in one day.
lol.png
They accumulate a "clutch" of eggs over a period of time and then go broody.

Back
Top Bottom