How cheap could I build a chicken coop and run for 6 chickens?

I was actually going to mention that. I noticed some places the 2 x 4‘s aren’t but a couple cents more than two by twos. I guess it depends where you go and where you live. But if the price is about the same and I definitely use 2x4. I now on craigslist some people sell extra lumber that they had left over from projects and such. It gets a little hard then because sometimes you’re not sure what the lumber has been used for or what it has in it. Sometimes it’s brand spanking new though

I am using the plans for the barn tractor but I am building the run longer, because it will be housing 10 pullets. I have a few left over untreated landscape timbers that I will be using to frame the coop and most of the run. I am put plywood on the coop and 2x4 welded wire on the run with poultry netting covering the wire from the ground to 2 ft up on the run. The top of the run will be 2x4 wire and a tarp covering 8 ft of that for shade.

Where are you located? What type of situation: urban, suburban, rural? Space/land that you (your parents) own? Other buildings/sheds/shelters available? Honestly, plenty of people have re-purposed or reorganized what is already available into a chicken home. For example, workshop/shed: turn it all or half into a chicken coop. Some people have used durable items and turned into coops: old fridge/freezer (will need vents/openings added), old car/bus/van.... etc. Not to mention scrounging for odd wood, etc. check local resources for free stuff or aHabitat store if there is one near you. If you areFFA, you are likely a minor and may have the help orsupport of the adults at home? At least permission to have chickens and to build on their property?

Aren’t FFA project completed around this time of year?

We actually spent close to $500 but we were building one for 24 chickens and it is the first time we went all out with new materials and paint. But the other ones I’ve built look good and intact and it held up well. Look into repurpose sing materials to. Like all of Our framing for the floor is pallets we got for free with plywood over them. I can send you the design in the morning. The website is printed out on the paper but I am at work until 6 AM. But I thought the design was awesome. What kind of area do you live in? As far as predator proofing the run
Oh wow could I ask you send them to me also? I never thought of using the pallets. I have access to tons of them through work for free.

The plans I had sent through weren’t ones with pallets. I do love using pallets with plywood because it’s instant framing. There is actually tons and tons of the constructions online of building chicken coops with pallets. We did build a small one with pallets

wow if I had access to them free at work all the time I would have them stockpiled at my house. LOL we use them for so much stuff we’ve built a small table outside to work off of and take out shelter pick shelter and all the coops floors are made with pallets covered with plywood which I’ve heard some people choose not to cover them but I feel better doing it. Use them as walls on some small coops at one time had a dollar for the goats fence made out of pallets and right now I’m constructing a three pin compost area Out of pallets.
Oh wow could I ask you send them to me also? I never thought of using the pallets. I have access to tons of them through work for free.

Well it turns out I found a 12x10 shed and I think I'm gonna convert it into a chicken coop. This guy says I can have it if I work for him for 10 hours.

Back
Top Bottom