How cold can eggs get before you can't incubate them?

Bertram

In the timeout corner
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2023
We are getting an incubator in a week and I would like to hatch some of my hens eggs. My question is how cold can the eggs get before they will not hatch? It's still the middle of winter here, so I was wondering how often I should check the coop. It also doesn't help that my hens only lay one egg a day at best.

1ggb.PNG

They were from store fridges...
I am on day 4, Green eggs are from a store, (store worker brought in the eggs.) They are all fertile, I only wondered about the far left one, but it looks to be developing. The eggs to the right, (heath food store eggs) I almost tossed, thinking they were not fertile. some are developing though. I am keeping an eye on them and an open mind.
I have hatched from both before.

I'd bring them inside and put them in a carton, fat end up.
I knew about putting them fat end up, but I don't know why you do it. It was always something I did because I had always done it. Do you know why you do it? Is it something to do with that being the air sack area?

I have hatched eggs successfully that were in the fridge for a week.
However, the next time I tried it, I had problems with weak chicks dying soon after hatching. It may just have been the fault of the inexperienced broody hen though, but now I try to avoid it to be on the safe side.
I would try to get them in from the cold coop as soon as you can; you can store them for up to two weeks, although they may not be as viable after 7 days.
I knew about putting them fat end up, but I don't know why you do it. It was always something I did because I had always done it. Do you know why you do it? Is it something to do with that being the air sack area?
I think its to keep them air cell on the correct end, and the correct shape.
However, again, I have hatched eggs that were stored the wrong way round, but I wouldn't advise it.

We are getting an incubator in a week and I would like to hatch some of my hens eggs. My question is how cold can the eggs get before they will not hatch? It's still the middle of winter here, so I was wondering how often I should check the coop. It also doesn't help that my hens only lay one egg a day at best.
To give you some hope, I had shipped 43 tiny bobwhite quail eggs to me in Alaska from Iowa recently. They got to Alaska after 4 days, went to my mailbox, and it was about 8° out for two days. I’m not sure how old the eggs were on top of that before shipping, too!

I have 40/43 eggs fertile and developing! I’m at day 6 today! I think they’re a bit tougher sometimes than we give credit for.

Good luck!

To give you some hope, I had shipped 43 tiny bobwhite quail eggs to me in Alaska from Iowa recently. They got to Alaska after 4 days, went to my mailbox, and it was about 8° out for two days. I’m not sure how old the eggs were on top of that before shipping, too!

I have 40/43 eggs fertile and developing! I’m at day 6 today! I think they’re a bit tougher sometimes than we give credit for.

Good luck!
That's really cool that they're developing. I wouldn't have expected them to. Also quail are just so cute, good luck with them.

You put them fat end up so the air cell can settle at the proper end and stay attached. As far as collecting unless it’s sub zero just collect once daily so they don’t freeze solid and crack.

Back
Top Bottom