How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Pics
Yep. Flocks are pretty much what we create them to be. If you have chosen poorly for your climate, kept birds past their natural, healthy prime, have not acclimated them to the cold, etc. you will have flocks that are dependent upon help during severe weather. So, then, giving that heat in that circumstance is no doubt necessary to avoid death.

Firstly, I cannot tell you how much I like this site. Just about everything I've had questions about, I've found answers to in amongst the threads of the forums. Thank you to everyone who contributes.

Last week our area got hit with an arctic blast. It usually rains here and my house got nearly a foot of snow from these snow storms from the arctic. I was worried about the cold temps, but reading posts from BYC members who live in places like Minnesota gave me the confidence to not worry too much about my two girls. I did my best to block drafts while still leaving the coop door open to allow for ventilation. I got some straw to put down on the "floor" of the coop and topped it with shavings. There were posts that said straw is warmer -- a better insulator. I change their water in the morning because it freezes over night. I took all the advice I thought would help. But, as a first time chicken owner going through a first winter with just two hens, I still worried. They are dark brahmas, and are supposed to do well in the winter, and again, I still worried.

Late yesterday afternoon, I went out to collect the two eggs from their nesting box (they have two "boxes" but both lay their eggs in just one) and I noticed that one of their roosts had fallen. They are in a prefab coop and the roosts sit just inches from the "floor" (slide out tray). With the straw and shavings I've got in there to help keep them warm, the roosts are only about an inch above the bedding. Hilary didn't want to get off the fallen roost so I could put it back up and actually looked like a barrel roller when I started rotating the roost. Great balance and skill. But, she finally let go and climbed on my hand instead of stepping into the bedding like Tillie did. I was standing outside, freezing, and just wanted to put the roost up, get the eggs and go back in the house. But, when Hilary stepped onto my hand I was utterly stunned at how warm her feet were. I've always wondered and worried but this was an eye-opener to me. Obviously, they are doing just fine in their little coop at night in this cold.

So, again, thank you to everyone who contributed so much great information to make this winter easier for me.
smile.png

I may have to get air conditioning in my coop, we are expected to get above freezing next week, and it has been a long time at zero and below, the heat might stress my girls?

This might be a foolish question, but maybe someone knows about it...
So I picked up a rooster today, my very first. I guess I was expecting he would cover my hens right away, (I'm itching to use my new incubator) but he just went straight for the food.
We were/are having a cold snowstorm so I thought, maybe he is just hungry. I watched them for a few hours. They all seem to get along fine, there were a few raised hackle feathers between him and My Alpha leghorn. But they all went in to roost together fine.
Now I'm worried that his libido is low because of the cold weather. Will he breed the hens, or will I have to wait for Spring? Maybe the move was stressful for him?
Eta, this was taken by cell, ..., he seems to be in very healthy condition.
Also, does anyone know how many days it takes for the eggs to be fertile? That is, once there has been activity.

Last edited:

This might be a foolish question, but maybe someone knows about it...
So I picked up a rooster today, my very first. I guess I was expecting he would cover my hens right away, (I'm itching to use my new incubator) but he just went straight for the food.
We were/are having a cold snowstorm so I thought, maybe he is just hungry. I watched them for a few hours. They all seem to get along fine, there were a few raised hackle feathers between him and My Alpha leghorn. But they all went in to roost together fine.
Now I'm worried that his libido is low because of the cold weather. Will he breed the hens, or will I have to wait for Spring? Maybe the move was stressful for him?
Eta, this was taken by cell, ..., he seems to be in very healthy condition.
Also, does anyone know how many days it takes for the eggs to be fertile? That is, once there has been activity.
If you just got him today and plunked him in with the hens, he's going to have to establish his place in the flock first. Pecking order is very important in the flock - everyone has to earn their place. I have read that fertility may be low in the winter to early spring, but I can't say for sure because I've never tried to hatch chicks this early.

Hi. My neighbour and I have recently purchased Silky Hen chicks. They were born on June 15th and are doing just fine. We have built them a 5-star hen house complete with run, sand bath, porch and shades and they are very happy. Since they are young, we have installed a 100 watt red heating lamp that we turn on a few hours before lights out and turn off prior to turning in for the night.

We live in Montreal and the winters here are long and can get very cold. The average is around -5*F but can dip as low as -30*F. I've read several replies to this thread which state that heating is not necessary if the chickens are kept dry and in a draft free environment but I have not seen any replies that state that this is also true for temperatures as low as those that we get here. Has anyone ever kept chickens in winter with similar temperatures?

Here are some pics.

Sunflower seeds are 24% protein and have a nice amount of fat, as well. Black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) are readily available at Walmart or feedstores.

I grew about 30 mammoth sunflowers in the garden and saved all the big old seed heads, they are dried and stored in a barrel for an indoor treat on the coldest winter days. Some of the heads are a foot and a half across, and crammed plumb full of seeds.
Does anyone know how to properly dry the sunflower heads? I grew them too because I heard they were excellent for chickens in the winter. I just don't know when I should cut off the heads and start drying them. I live in Norther New York, its in the low 40's already and highs only in the 60's, no frost predicted for the next 10 days. Thanks!

Getting ready for our first winter with the chicks. We are born & raised Ohioians :) I do have a question.. What is the difference between a heat lamp and a brooder lamp? Not sure if we will use one but want to have it ready for those below -20 days for it is ready.
Also I read an article about NOT using a brooder heat lamp because of the dangers of fire. (Link Below) Any thoughts?

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/11/surviving-winter-with-chickens.html

Back
Top Bottom