How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Pics
-9F/-23C here this morning, and everyone is outside just a scratching away!
smile.png
(No extra heat)

My hen and her week and a half old chicks were out today in 42 degree weather, first time out since their hatch...they had a ball. Mama hen was not to upset to be outside either.

I lost 4- 2 month old chicks in one night due to the cold. I had a heat light on them..it worked all of this time. I checked on them when my blue cochin baby was taking his last breath. It was heart breaking. It was the coldest night so far this season. All I could do was cry and bury my babies. DeeJay

Mine are doing fine and its BITTERLY cold. I think we went down to -8, with windchill it was -36.

No heat, just themselves. I did get a few frozen eggs.

Quote:
We got 2 frozen eggs this morning too. I blamed it on dh and told him he didn't check for eggs well enough when he put them to bed last night.
wink.png

Quote:
How cold was it?

It was 18 degrees, I don't recall the wind chill, but from what I have read they should have been alright. The chicken eggs were so frozen that I could stand on them and they did not budge. I have never seen an egg that frozen have you?

Quote:
How cold was it?

It was 18 degrees, I don't recall the wind chill, but from what I have read they should have been alright. The chicken eggs were so frozen that I could stand on them and they did not budge. I have never seen an egg that frozen have you?

Thats really weird, I thought you were going to say -30 or something....
I bet there were some other issues to make it worse - moisture, wind blowing into the coop or something.

Quote:

Thats really weird, I thought you were going to say -30 or something....
I bet there were some other issues to make it worse - moisture, wind blowing into the coop or something.

I had them in the house but my husband wanted them out of the house. I think it was to drastic of a change for them..even with the heat light. It wasn't as warm as the house with a heat light. I wish he hadn't of nagged so much about them being in the house. I cleaned there cage every 2 hours like clock work. I guess I was not paying enough attention to him. I am upset..I am attached to all of my chicks. He doesn't know how upset I am. What good would it do? I did put another heat light out for the babies and I insulated the cage.

Back
Top Bottom