How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Pics
Hi everyone. I have never posted or commented on here before. My 2 cochin chicks are 9 weeks old and have been living out in the coop for 3 weeks now. We are having a cold front (for Florida) starting today thru next week with rain and dipping to lower 40's. I am just wondering if they have enough body heat between the 2 of them as well as the feathers to not need a heat lamp. Tia

Does your body hair change with the season/climate?  Mine doesn't....but my dog's does.   If they live outside all the time their coats adapt to the changing temperatures, keeping them warm enough to live outside.  We just take clothes on and off to do the same thing.  

Here's an experiment you can try....dress in a down jacket that extends from your head down to your knees and then sit in a small, heated room all night, right up against someone else dressed in the same attire.  You'll find yourself sweating and getting uncomfortable...then walk out into the chilly air when you are all sweaty around the edges and you'll find that is uncomfortable too.  That's most likely how a chicken feels when a person suddenly starts heating their coop in the winter months when they've already grown the feathers to adapt to the changing temps. 

Well it is suppose to be 4 degrees on Monday night. I have four New Hampshire Red hens, and two Domonique hens. They have a un insulated enclosed 5 foot by 6 foot Coop, think I should add supplemental heat lamp? I have electric too the Coop and run for the heated waterer.

Last edited:
Well it is suppose 7 degrees on Monday night.  I have four New Hampshire Red hens, and two Domonique hens.  They have a un insulated enclosed 5 foot by 6 foot  Coop, think I should add supplemental heat lamp?  I have electric too the Coop and run for the heated waterer.
nope. Out of the wind, plenty wide enough roosts to warm their feet, out of the wind, and scratch before they go to roost at night and they'll be fine.

Thanks so much. These 2 little ones won't even roost I have tried, and they end up in the nesting box at night. I will just add more bedding in there for them. They are a mix of Cochin and Orpington. They do have a roost in there and their coop is next to the main coop so they see the big chickens roost but for whatever reason they will not stay on there yet.

nope. Out of the wind, plenty wide enough roosts to warm their feet, out of the wind, and scratch before they go to roost at night and they'll be fine.
You were correct, they were happy as clams in there coop, without supplemental heat, and no signs of frost bite either. Put Vasoline on the combs just in case.

When we head towards 5' or lower i goop up my couple that have giant combs. They love it.

Heading to 0' for the weekend. I am so ready for warmer weather.

I have 4 BRs, they are going on 4 yrs old. They have tall combs. They have been through winters, with temps to 0 F, (Sometimes a few degrees lower), and they have never had any problems with frostbite at all. And they have never had any vasoline smeared on them either. And of course, they live in a un-insulated, un-heated coop.

Hey Wthrlady, how's that Wood's coop working for you? The glazing has all but fell out of one of my coop's transom windows. Window has been rattling a bit. But I'm not messing with it now, unless it falls out. Winter has decided to show up here, last couple of mornings down to 10 F, or so. We were up in the 60's coupla weeks ago.

It is about 9 F. My hens do not mind cold, it is the wetness they hate. We have snow, then it melts, then it snows, and repeat. My have a heated coop. They hate the snow .

Its finally down to low 20's and I'm loving it. All the wetness and mudd is frozen and my chickies and happy as can be out in sun! I mix warm water in their food and they will have chicken slop until the ground melts, then they head to the garden. I was worried about them since it was hot last week, and now freezing.

Back
Top Bottom